My brake seals are leaking which is leaking differential oil from the back. Anyone know if this is a difficult job to do? I got the 2 seals which look like little plungers. Having a hard time looking anything up online any advice is appreciated. Vin is 5pc 15128
I have a 426 and just replaced the brake frictions and steels. If the seals you are referring to are the ones seal the actuating rod that goes into the differential, then no they are not difficult to replace. You need to disconnect the linkage, then remove the two nuts from the actuating rod. Remove the two bolt holding the bracket to the actuating mechanism. Then the actuating mechanism comes off. You may need to persuade it. There is an o-ring to seal that mechanism to the axle housing. I would suggest draining the rear differential first. Otherwise you will make a mess.
If you mean seals #11 in the diagram, then to remove shaft #1 you need to unscrew bolt #30 that holds the shaft in the rear axle. To do this, you need to remove and disassemble the rear axle. If this helps you, instructions for disassembling and assembling the rear axle are included.
Yes they are the actuation rod seals. There's 2 of them on the rear differential. Anyway I could get a chart of that if someone has it. Thanks for the great reply I'm having a tough time finding anything online.
The brake rods are above the running oil level. If it's just a film of oil around there, and the oil level is correct, then yes, the rod seal boot is damaged. Is the differential oil level higher than normal?
Is this what's leaking? #43
Yes that's where it is leaking from. So I changed the differential oil and when it got to that level it started poring out of there. It was really dirty around that area so I cleaned it off and it looks like the rubber seal is gone. On both sides. I haven't taken it apart yet but got the seals. I got a seal maker aswell for the O ring that goes underneath the plate but I've got to take it apart tomorrow.
It doesn't leak all the time but when I come down my driveway it's leaking cause the oil comes to the front of diff.
The brakes work Great no issues with that but need leak to stop before snow removal i bet they have never been changed and thanks for the chart I really appreciate all the help off this site.