Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 416 BACKHOE FRONT LOADER ARMS WEAK NO POWER

biggerhammer · 2021-06-25 12:17

Good day all. As described in the title, all other functions are good. When I activate another function (bucket curl or clam) it will come to life, it will lift the machine off the ground. If the bucket is in the air, when I first activate the loader up, the arms will drop before they slowly raise, so I thought it was a load check valve. I got the parts break down, removed the floor board, got at the loader control valve and removed the check valve which was in a position where the other sections had adjustable relief valves. Took it out-cleaned it and no change in action. Then I came to my favorite forum to do some research and found a lot of talk about the resolver valve. I gather this is some sort of load sensing thing for the pump to stroke. I thought this dinosaur would've been an open center system for sure. Then I read that it may not the section that is not working that has the issue with the resolver valve, but another section further back. Which in this case would be the clam section? Any old Cat mechanics out there with some knowledge that may help? SN 5PC01741 Furthermore, if anyone has a service manual to share that'd be appreciated too. Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1AllDodge2021-06-25 17:56

    I've got on but no expert. Thinking the loader valve because you said it drops before coming up. Could be the valve needs a rebuild I have the manual and will try to remember to have a look tomorrow I'm not getting email notifications from the forum so if I don't come back right away its not because I'm ignoring

  2. #2Nige2021-06-25 19:25

    With those symptoms it’s a Resolver valve stuck or leaking somewhere. Get them all out and reseal them would probably be a good start. Do a search for “resolver” in this section. There was a thread a couple of months ago with a guy in Africa that probably has all the information you need. HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3Mobilewrench2021-06-25 20:47

    Once again, Nige nails it. It is most likely a resolver problem. It is either the resolver on the valve section or the other resolver up stream. Pull the resolver on the function that is behaving badly and look for bad seals. Be careful, there is a check ball behind it. I have lost many of those in the dirt under a machine. Shotgun approach is replace both a and b resolves. About 200 in parts.