I have a 1987 Cat 416 2wd. I removed the starter some time ago and have lost the photos of where the wireing goes and don't want to screw it up. Does anyone have any photos of their starter motor connected to the machine? I believe there is a large ground wire, large wire coming from battery with a red cover, a red wire coming from ignition, and a very small y connector not sure where that goes. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Where in CT are you? I have a 426 of the same vintage. I am in Stafford and my machine is in Cheshire at the moment.
I'm in Bolton, about 30 min from Cheshire. I scoured the internet last night trying to get a picture but no luck. Thing is I've taken it off before but can't quite remember.
I was able to snap a photo of the starter and the connections. I am assuming the large red connector on bottom of screen and smaller red connector on top of the starter go to the main terminal on the starter. I however don't remember where the small white "Y" connector or the large black ground (on very bottom or picture) go. Any help would be much appreciated.
Good morning, Could anyone with a CAT 416 around Era 1986-1990 snap a photo of their Starter motor all hooked up and post it here. Just want to make sure that I connect it properly. I would much appreciate it!
I will not be at my 426 for a week or so. If you haven't gotten a picture by then I will snap one up close. I did find these in my archives from a couple years ago. Maybe this is of help?
From the top...............1. To the copper post 2. To the solenoid between the copper post and the engine block. 3. To ground. 4. To the same copper post as #1
Thanks so very much Vetech and Edgephoto!!! Sorry, just seeing this now. I am overseas and don't have great internet. Will be back on Wednesday. So I seen in the photos and Vetech's instructions that both red wires attach to the large copper bolt/terminal on the back of the solenoid. The large black wire (ground) must attach onto one of the starter motor mounting bolts? And finally the small white "Y" connector (#2) connects to the small terminal (on back of solenoid) between the large copper terminal and the engine. (Note this terminal is not seen in the photos and hidden by the larger positive copper terminal) Does this sound correct? Thanks guys!
Correct!
Yes
Thanks guys! Just got back home. Will try to hook it all up this week. I really appreciate your help!!
Got it started guys! Thank you all!