Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416 water separator

tsdaigle69 · 2024-10-11 11:05

Hi all a little background I purchased a cat 416 that was at least greased well so I don’t have that problem but I had a great running machine but low on power. After some recommendations I flush out the lines and cleaned out water separator and I noticed that there is diesel in the see through cup. I thought that was only water in that area? It ran before this but won’t start now. Fuel at injectors as it cranks you can see some puff of smoke so it seems to be getting fuel yet it will only run on either. Only sprayed a little knowing it is not good for it. I bought fuel and a container and sprayed it and won’t fire. I also sprayed it on cement and tried to light it and it won’t light it so now I’m wondering is it fuel no good? I didn’t try and burn it on cement but it doesn’t want to light with lighter anyway. Not sure if that’s normal or not. Thanks for any help

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632024-10-11 14:05

    If you drained and cleaned the separator then there will be diesel in the bottom. The water will settle as it enters the separator. You will want to drain the clear/cloudy water that settles at the bottom. Diesel fuel has to be atomized to burn in an engine. Spraying some on the ground and trying to light it with a lighter won't happen unless the fuel reaches its flash point. I'm betting you have air in the fuel system that is trapped.

  2. #2tsdaigle692024-10-11 14:16

    Thx for taking the time to reply and help with water sep. I guess keep going back and forth with the cracking injectors till it runs I guess? Thx for the tip on diesel flash point

  3. #3HarleyHappy2024-10-12 12:46

    Can you pre fill the filter?

  4. #4Cliffy2024-10-13 04:46

    What series 416? Early had mechanical lift pumps. Later had electric lift pumps. If it has electric, momentary crank the engine then leave the ignition on to prime

  5. #5tsdaigle692024-10-13 12:41

    I assume the filter is full if the fuel is reaching the injectors? I assume anyway. I am still learning about these. This was running great except low on power. Now it won’t run at all.

  6. #6tsdaigle692024-10-13 12:42

    It’s all mechanical I believe because it’s got a primer pump.

  7. #7AllDodge2024-10-13 14:08

    Look for leaks, any fuel dripping

  8. #8tsdaigle692024-10-13 14:40

    Finally up!!!!!should I crack each line individual at the injector while it’s running or is running just good? I mean it sounds smooth. It seems to be high RPM over 1000.