Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416B Backhoe Oil Filter Alternatives

CWBox411 ยท 2023-05-30 11:00

Hello All, I just purchased a 1995 Caterpillar 416B Backhoe this past Friday. It currently has a WIX 51806 oil filter. Do any of you know if this is a viable alternative, or do you have any other alternatives that you have been using? I hate to sound cheap, but I don't want to keep paying $50 for a $15 to $20 oil filter just because it's painted yellow and says "Caterpillar" if there are alternatives that are equally good.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2023-05-30 11:21

    This is the equivalent to an OEM Cat filter P/N 7W-2327. Don't discount Cat. I know that in your area Thompson Tractor have regular promotions on OEM-branded oils & filters that price them the same as what you'd pay at the local auto parts store. If you want a good alternative to OEM, Donaldson is as good a filter brand as any. The Donaldson equivalent to 7W-2327 is Part Number P554403. I've said this many times before and I'll say it again. Good quality oil and filters are the cheapest insurance policy you can buy for a machine.

  2. #2Jaz109652023-05-31 08:32

    I use Napa Gold filters in all the equipment i maintain. Napa Gold are Wix filters. We also had A 416B Serial started with 8SG and these are the filters I used Oil: 1806(short) 1459(long) Air out: 6232 Air in: 6251 Fuel: 3546 Hyd: 1730 Trans: 7116

  3. #3Mobilewrench2023-05-31 19:53

    I tend toward using cat filters on cat machines. But that is mostly due to convenience. In all honesty, I have no problem using name brand aftermarket filters. Wix, Donaldson and Fram are all primarily in the filtration business. I tend to believe they know what they are doing.

  4. #4CWBox4112023-06-01 07:44

    Thanks so much for your replies. The local Caterpillar dealer was having a sale on oil and filters, so I actually got their stuff cheaper than the alternatives! Good timing I guess.

  5. #5AzIron2023-06-01 07:52

    I buy 1459 napa golds 10 at a time but I have 4 machines that use them I pay in the high 20s for them