Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 416c tach & hour meter

backspacer · 2023-12-31 16:17

Hey, my tach and hour meter stopped working suddenly. I checked continuity from tach and hour meter to alternator and its good. Power and ground is good. Serial # 4ZN02115. What am I missing? Also, what year is this 416c? Thanks in advance

Replies16
  1. #1Nige2023-12-31 16:21

    Do you have an electrical schematic.? If not, do you want one.? Your machine was built April 1997.

  2. #2backspacer2023-12-31 16:25

    I have the parts manual but not any schematics, so yes I would love one. Any advice on where to start since the simple check of continuity checks out?

  3. #3Nige2023-12-31 18:07

    I'll send you the electrical schematic. Keep an eye on your messages. Not really. But if you locate the tachometer & hourmeter on the schematic and start working back towards wherever the power/signal comes from you should find something common.

  4. #4edgephoto2024-01-01 00:13

    I do not have a schematic in front of me but you could check the Tach output on the alternator.

  5. #5backspacer2024-01-01 16:12

    I have checked continuity to tach from alt and its good. If there is supposed to be some other type of signal, let me know how to check it please.

  6. #6backspacer2024-01-01 16:15

    Thanks for the schematic. After a simple trace, the single wire has good continuity to both the tach and hour meter. It's one wire from the alternator that splits into a Y under instrument panel that then goes to tach and hour meter. What type of signal is coming from the alt? Is there some other way I should check instead of just continuity?

  7. #7Nige2024-01-01 16:22

    Have you checked the wire under load using a test light connected to/from batt+ & ground.? You will need to disconnect wire 450 Yellow at both the alternator end and the service meter/tacho end. It's not unknown for a wire to show continuity on a multimeter because it literally only needs one strand to do that, but put a load on it and it breaks down.

  8. #8Coaldust2024-01-01 17:35

    OP, What kind of signal, you ask? You will be looking for an A/C signal in the 0-30volt spectrum that changes with engine rpm. Don’t get wrapped around the axle on actual voltage. You either have a fluctuating signal, or you don’t. If you don’t have a signal at the Alternator tachometer terminal, most common is a bad diode trio. Because that’s how the stator tap gets to the tach terminal.

  9. #9backspacer2024-01-05 13:58

    The yellow wire that runs straight to the hour meter and tach has nothing on it. I checked right at the connector on the alternator and nothing, even when reving up the engine. You say a bad diode trio? Where is that and is it replaceable or do I need a new alternator? Thanks

  10. #10Nige2024-01-05 14:06

    I would say #6 on the attachment but the electrical experts should confirm that. This is providing your alternator is OEM and has not been replaced with a "will fit" at some point during the life of the machine.

  11. #11Coaldust2024-01-05 14:53

    You have a few ootions. You could take the alternator apart, replace the diode trio and install new brushes while you are in there. You could purchase a replacement or have your favorite electrical shop rebuild it.

  12. #12backspacer2024-01-06 15:13

    so I got the rectifier (top part in pic) and regulator off (bottom part in pic). Is there a way to check to see which one is bad? The connector that goes to the tach and hour meter plugs into the regulator. I can't find the rectifier anywhere online except for CAT, about $120. Haven't searched for the regulator. Best guess as to which is bad?

  13. #13Coaldust2024-01-06 17:39

    You can check the diodes in the rectifier bridge individually with an DVOM w/diode test feature. They should have about .5v of voltage drop. You can even check the VR by using a 12 volt car battery, DVOM,some jumper wires and a battery charger. It’s too much for me to peck out with my smart phone. There is a ton of YouTube videos that demonstrate it.

  14. #14edgephoto2024-01-07 10:41

    How To Test an Alternator Using a Voltmeter | Moss Motors mossmotors.com Alternator diode testing - AutoEdu - procedure The test of diodes is reduced to checking their ability to pass current in only one direction. The measurement can be done with a multimeter. autoedu.info A couple resources to show you how they can be tested.

  15. #15backspacer2024-01-10 12:53

    Looks like one of the diodes is bad. All were in the .5 range except one. Anybody know where to get this part other than CAT? Yes, I have searched the web with the part number

  16. #16Coaldust2024-01-10 13:45

    Easiest way would be to convert the Cat number to an Asin number, then go to EBay. It’s probably a 204502447515 diode assembly. But, I would verify that. It may have a number on it.