Hello guys I just recently found out the parking brake for a cat 416D doesn't work. Below is a pic from the system. What happens is when operating the lever, it turns all the way (360º) and I supposed it shouldn't do that. So my question is, can it be repair or should I get a new one? or could it be adjusting problem?
Simple question first. Does it have any brake shoes in it at all, maybe they are worn right down to the steel ....?? There are all sorts of repair kits for the parking brake, but I guess you have to find the problem first. I'll send you the adjustment procedure.
I know that when I adjusted mine according to the manual on a 420D that it didn't seem to make mechanical sense (for lack of a better way of putting it), but it worked great. Usually the operator leaves it on and takes off, while the beeper is drowned out by engine noise. The best fix that I've heard of on this forum is to route the parking brake light into the transmission neutral button so it can't go into gear with the park brake applied.
I recently replaced the pads on my 426c. Purchased new ones from finning around $80.00. Installed and re-adjusted linkages as per my model and darn if she doesn't hold great now! Almost impossible to move with the pbrake on now. I have a warning light that indicates its on just in case. There are several different linkages that can be adjusted in my machine.
Curbster you should have a warning alarm as well. Mine quit working , but I replaced it. I think 35 $ it was , cheap insurance , it covers coolant , and oil pressure.
Yes, you are right, sometimes I hear the alarm and other times it's not working, so I guess it's time to R&R! (should stand for Rest and Relax:drinkup)
BTW, this is the serial B2D01197, Brake pads are fine (half work life left) So I'll look for changing the cam
Brake Cam Kit is a 166-9413. I think based on your comments something is broken in the cam mechanism.