Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420D IT Lack of Power

xcavate ยท 2008-01-31 17:22

I have a 05 Cat 420D IT and it seems the backhoe lacks power to pick up a manhole. The machine was orginally a rental that we turned into a purchase and i am thinking that the cat dealership had the pumps turned down while out on rent. What would be the proper way to adjust the pressures and what is the maxium i can turn it up to? The machine should be able to pick up a 1500lb manhole and set it in the ground no problem with the backhoe. It just seems like it hits some relief port and just stops lifting. Thanks for you help

Replies3
  1. #1melben2008-02-03 19:40

    Xcavate, I am sure you are going to get lots of replies to this post, I am not familiar with the 420 as to where it sizes against Case, 1500 lbs seems extremely low in craning power. Case machines will crane well useing the dipper but sometimes the boom secondaries will not hold the boom up so it squashes out, That can be remedied as I have set some up to crane extremely heavy manholes. A properly setup 590SM is a craning fool and an extremely strong digger. I believe your 420 just needs some TLC and a sharp tech, its all about getting the pressures where they ought to be. Mel

  2. #2Cat4202008-02-03 20:16

    My spec list shows that the 420D even with E-stick out, should pick 2500lbs at 19ft. Hopefully it has just been turned down as I'm sure the variable displacement pump this machine uses can't be cheap. Good luck.

  3. #3ihnut2011-01-23 12:30

    does any one know where to test pressures on 420eit 2006 backhoe? Case salesman be here tomarrow to try to trade piece of junk off for good one. Only has 1600 hrs. just stalls out when digging.