Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My Case Just Did Not Want To Start!

Preppypyro ยท 2008-01-30 21:45

It was minus 55 degrees celcius yesterday and my hoe didnt want to start. I had it plugged in and tried ether and every thing and she just did not want to go. I ran the battery dead and boosted it but no luck. So early evening tonight it "warmed up" to minus 28 with no wind and i managed to get er going. Got the yard all nice and clean now!!

Replies20
  1. #1mikef872008-01-30 21:54

    WOW that is cold.

  2. #2kirk222008-01-30 21:58

    WOW....JUST....WOW. I don't even know what to say.

  3. #3iron kid2008-01-30 22:02

    how cold is to cold

  4. #4Burnout2008-01-30 22:30

    Thats a sexy lookin K ya got there. When I plowed snow in Ontario it was the K that never gave us starting problems. The Super L's were always lazy to start.

  5. #5KSSS2008-01-30 23:19

    Last year I had my CASE 440 plugged in. I started it, loaded it on the trailer and headed to the job about 3.5 hours away. The thermometer in my pickup said minus 43 below zero Farhenheit. By the time I got to the job, it would not start (cold starting kit equipped). We tried jumping it and and it still would not start. The saving grace was that the ground heater that was on the job thought it was too cold as well and had stopped sometime during the night. So we drove back home. I guess thats a clue it is too cold to be running equipment. On a side note, my Takeuchi excavator which was not plugged in and was subjected to minus 40 below for several days started. I could not believe it.

  6. #6Ross2008-01-30 23:37

    Easy start it. Ross

  7. #7coopers2008-01-31 02:36

    I wouldn't want to start either!

  8. #8Squizzy246B2008-01-31 03:14

    Have you tried a match???

  9. #9Preppypyro2008-01-31 09:04

    I shoulda used a torch instead of a match hey lol. I do know I need new batteries, and she woulda started a tad better, next year though

  10. #10Phil2008-02-03 07:15

    Good picture, we noticed the unusual cold snap out west on the weather map. I can't imagine operating any machine at -40 Fahrenheit. I've read stories of tire failure and parts breakage, just from the cold. Very interesting topic. Phil:canada

  11. #11Preppypyro2008-02-03 16:52

    Actually once I let it warm up it worked great, the cab was even nice and warm, I wore a fleece and my regular shoes Hey burnout thanks for the compliment, i just noticed you were from edmonton too, thats where my job is based out of, what do you do there?

  12. #12pwrstroke6john2008-02-03 23:44

    I cant imagine being outside at -40 around here -10 is pretty cold!

  13. #13Preppypyro2008-02-04 19:36

    Minus ten is T shirt weather up here lol.

  14. #14Dusty2008-02-04 20:09

    that is way to cold

  15. #15Noose2008-02-04 20:30

    We got some -40 out this way last week. The bobcat got fitted with a silicon stick on heat pad. They are essential, and convient 150W stick ons. THey get warm enough you can barely touch the dipstick. the 100W ones are great for diffs, trannys and hydraulic tanks. We rigged one up on a stereo magnet, for multiple temperary use. Use a timer on your hyd. tanks to reduce condensation tough!! http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/Specials/Kat/Kats_24100_Silicone_hotpad_oilpan_heater.htm http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1153-Watt-Magnetic-Heater/dp/B000BOABS6

  16. #16Phil2008-02-05 20:04

    Noose, those heaters look handy to have around. I didn't realize they worked that well, and with a magnet too. Phil

  17. #17thejdman042008-02-10 20:27

    you can keep the cold up there

  18. #18Phil2008-02-12 06:55

    More cold air bowing in here. I had to get my 580B going yesterday, had a guy coming to look at it. Only had 1 hour to get it running; looked over at the thermometer and it said -5 Fahrenheit Man I said to myself, as I plugged it in, this ain't going to work. Then I remembered I had a propane wand, so I got the barbeque tank out, fortunately the fitting was the same. Placed it under the oil pan a foot or so and stayed with it. Didn't burn anything and it worked quite well. These burners can put out alot of heat if needed and are well worth having as long as common sense is used. So after 45 minutes it started right up and it was good to know the oil was warm. Definitely for emergency use only but good to have one around just in case. Phil

  19. #19Nightowlbird2008-02-12 09:54

    Cold!! Do you have electric seat warmers with your unit....LOL. Just getting cold looking at the photo How long did it take to warm up the fluids before you start using it? NBO

  20. #20socks2008-02-15 20:31

    How about -35c, she starts springing leaks then!