Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 531B Starter Problem

David Hess ยท 2023-05-04 16:49

When I turn the key to start, I hear a "click". If the weather is warm, or the engine is hot (within 5 minutes of shutting down), starter will engage within 2 or 3 tries. If it's been longer (an hour or a week), it takes 10 - 30 + attempts before starter engages. Tried tapping on starter and/or solenoid, not sure if that helps. I found a new solenoid on line, but there is also an "egg shaped" switch with a rubber cover and wires going to the solenoid. Neither part is cheap, so I don't know which (if either?) I should replace. Any ideas?

Replies1
  1. #1Delmer2023-05-04 17:16

    If you have a helper, have them hold the key to start, and check the voltages with a multimeter, that will tell you which switch is failed, with a little electrical knowledge or studying. If you're concerned about the cost, the solenoid contacts can sometimes be cleaned up, flipped over, or replaced without replacing the rest of the solenoid. Less likely the other switch is fixable, but cheaper to replace, or substitute with something cheaper.