Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 426 backhoe transmission problems

DaveBeaudry · 2013-01-09 03:05

I had my hoe stop moving. i drained fluid and it was clean, proper color and no particles. After refilling transmission i put into gear and it hooked up solid, i ran for a while and it stopped again. If i let it cool down it will move. Would it be a hydraulic problem or are the disc and plates done.

Replies14
  1. #1Marius2013-01-09 04:28

    I'd guess it's a rather electrical issue, if it stops suddenly...

  2. #2DaveBeaudry2013-01-09 16:30

    It feels like the transmission just starts to slip but I don't see the evidence. At one instance when it stopped moving I checked the fluid level and it didn't show on stick, I went for fluid and by the time I came back the fluid level was on the stick. Is there anything that would stop fluid from going into transmission?

  3. #3Bob/Ont2013-01-09 17:21

    Dave, when it stops does the engine load up or run free? If it runs free it might be the wireing to the switch on the hyd lever or the shift lever. If they get shorted together the trans will go into neutral. Later Bob

  4. #4aus cat2013-09-24 06:43

    I THINK I HAVE THE SAME TROUBLE hi i have a 428c back hoe with power shift and do not have any forward of reverse gears i have checked the fuse and it is ok and have used a solenoid tester and there is no power at the solenoid,s on the gear box could there be a short some where your help would be very grateful

  5. #5Bob/Ont2013-09-24 08:45

    I have seen an intermittent No Drive problem and it was the shifter on the steering column. It has a computer in it. Later Bob

  6. #6aus cat2013-09-24 17:37

    thanks i will take look today all have tow it back shed

  7. #7Curbster2013-09-27 21:11

    Greetings fellow hoes - operators that is! I had a similar problem with my 97 - 426C and I had to change the forward-reverser lever, that is actually an electronic switch made to look, and sort of feel like you are still shifting some mechanical thing - but you aren't. Then the Cat mechanic had to trace down, and replace a neutral safety switch that is cleverly disguised in the wiring harness near the floor - below the for/rev lever. I have the model with the 4 speed transmission stick shift on the floor and the for/rev lever on the left side of the dash. I detest wiring problems as I don't have the patience or knowledge. I never would have found this neutral safety fuse thing as it is in line, dusty, and until I sliced away an access panel in the side of the plastic housing, (after I had it off!) with my trusty zip grinder, totally out of sight! The Cat technician using his computer tools found it very fast and replaced it. Machine moved as normal after that. Of course my bank account reflected that action. My hoe just started not going into gear frequently. First it had no reverse, then no forward gears. That's where the backhoe comes in handy. Hope this information is of some use. Good luck.

  8. #8aus cat2013-09-28 06:14

    i will look at it on sunday thanks

  9. #9aus cat2013-10-03 03:42

    hi i had a look but still have trouble there is power going into forward-reverse lever, electronic switch but none coming out

  10. #10fbitz7772014-03-25 22:56

    Did you ever get this resolved? I just started having the same problem today!

  11. #11aus cat2014-03-26 02:46

    Yes yes fond out i pulled the earth wire in the hansess going to the computer ? From where the black wire go.es one into two you will it pulled out

  12. #12mengel2015-09-30 14:27

    I have a 428c with f/r on lever and four on the floor. I moved the machine a short distance then drained tranny oil to check the rock screen. The oil, only approx. 50 hours old was white in colour to my surprise however once I let the oil settle it returned to its normal colour. Am I correct in guessing the oil is being aerated by the pump and do I have to pull the trans to repair?

  13. #13Jstroud2024-10-10 22:37

    I have a cat 426 that when cold it has trouble going into gear it seems to go in reverse better that foward, any suggestions out there

  14. #14Nige2024-10-11 03:41

    Does the engagement improve once it warms up.? If so it could be too heavy of an oil. Do you have any idea what oil is in it right now or when it was last changed.? If you post a Serial Number I can look up what’s recommended.