Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 430D not running

JRuffryders0930 ยท 2014-09-29 11:57

I just replaced the fuel injection pump on a 2004 cat 430D with the 3054C engine. the engine starts and stays running if I keep the key in the start position but as soon as I let go of the key to the run position the engine shuts of. is there anything wrong here. Now I do not have the whole engine put back together yet I just want to make sure the fuel injection pump is installed right before I put the rest of the engine back together. could that be why it wont stay running because the whole engine isn't back together yet. all I have off is the alternator all the belts and fan. I also have to finish tightening the front cover bolts too. please help.

Replies16
  1. #1PDG X2014-09-29 13:10

    I've had this happen. Check and clean the connection of the wire on the fuel shutoff solenoid on the fuel pump. After cleaning the connection and the wire, use some dielectric grease. If this doesn't correct it, check the connections at the key switch as well. It must see 12v to fully open the solenoid. For some reason, while cranking, the circuit seems to get additional boost as there are less accessories being powered while in start position.

  2. #2JRuffryders09302014-09-29 13:56

    thanks for the information. I tried cleaning the connection on the solenoid and that didn't work. trying to check the switch but I have no idea which wires should have the 12v. any ideas? also could it also be not getting the 12v because the alternator isn't hooked up maybe. I just want to make sure it runs before I put everything back together. what to make sure the timing is good on the fuel injection pump. I would hate t put it all back together and have it be the timing is off.

  3. #3Nige2014-09-29 14:00

    If you want an electrical schematic for your machine then send me a PM with your machine Serial Number and your email address.

  4. #4PDG X2014-09-29 16:29

    I'd have to check the schematic. Nige says he can get you one. Have you checked the voltage at the wire with the keyswitch in the run position ?

  5. #5Nige2014-09-29 16:32

    OP's been in contact. Electronic file of schematic already sent. He'll need a while to digest it I would imagine.

  6. #6JRuffryders09302014-09-29 17:18

    Would you think that with the alternator not charging it could cause that. Since it might not be getting the 12 volts to the solenoid. Maybe. That's what I am leaning towards. Maybe tomorrow I will hook up the alternator and see what happens.

  7. #7JRuffryders09302014-10-01 10:34

    well I hooked up the alternator and tried to started and I still have the same situation the engine runs as long as I have the key in the start position. once I let go of the key the engine cuts off. I checked for 12v while the key is in the run position and I do have 12v there. I am out of ideas. can anyone please help. is the timing on the fuel injection pump still off? it just does make sense since it does run while the key is in the start position. any ideas please help. thank you

  8. #8PDG X2014-10-01 14:26

    If it's running well even when cranking, the fuel timing should be good. Back to your original post - why did you replace the fuel pump ? Do you still have the original pump ? I'm still leaning toward the connection to (or) fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump. If you have it can you swap solenoids? On my machine - doing the same thing, I found the connection issue by keepin the machine running with the key in the start position. A couple of times it took 30+ seconds before it stayed running when returning it to run. Do NOT rev the engine when doing so - leave it at idle. The engine and starter will not be pushing each other when doing so due to the bendix, so do not goose the engine. I have not had the issue again since fixing the connection problem. I suspect the fuel solenoid is sticking or there is a connection or solenoid coil problem on the replacement pump.

  9. #9JRuffryders09302014-10-01 14:36

    i replace the fuel pump because it was leaking fuel out of the pin hole. I already gave the old pump to the dealer to get my core on it. the fuel shut off solenoid is the solenoid on top of the pump right? or is it the one on the bottom of the pump. The one on top has two wires and the one on bottom has one wire. I checked the circuits and found that of the wires are grounded. there is no power at any circuit. there has to be a short to ground right? I found one already but fixed it? I found that the single wire that goes to the bottom of the pump was caught between the pump and front cover so I got the wire out and repaired that wire. but there is still ground to all circuits. any ideas. thank you

  10. #10PDG X2014-10-01 22:58

    Yes the fuel solenoid is the top - 2 wires - I believe the connector has a slide lock on it. One side of the connector - possibly a pink wire should have 12v with the key switch on. The other - black wire should go to ground. It's located about E1 on the Vol 1 schematic.

  11. #11newguy2k32014-10-02 00:22

    I don't remember if the D's are the same way but I remember on an E that I had a few months ago there are some relays over on the frame by the starter, one is for the shutoff solenoid and electric lift pump, there is also a diode on the harness that runs around the back of the engine, on top of the flywheel housing to that relay. Also a fuse that powers the circuit. The circuit uses the diode to snap the relay and then the way it's wired it's a self sustaining setup to keep the relay closed until the key is turned off. Again, not sure if this applies to your machine but I want to say it's similar if not the same. ETA: My particular issue was somewhat similar. It would blow a fuse and die. It would turn over and restart but only for a second or so after the key turned back from start to run.

  12. #12JRuffryders09302014-10-02 08:36

    found that the p9 fuse keeps blowing. I think it has something to do with the fuel solenoid. anyone have any problems with that before

  13. #13JRuffryders09302014-10-02 09:25

    or a diode. anyone know where that diode could be

  14. #14PDG X2014-10-03 19:17

    Did you find your short(s)/ground(s) yet ? You should read 12v between the 2 wires at the connector to the fuel solenoid with the key on - do you ?

  15. #15JRuffryders09302014-10-03 20:12

    No I haven't found the short yet. I tried to follow the wires but no luck yet. My boss really need the machine back too. Was thinking maybe running a new wire from 12v wire with ignition in run to the solenoid. Then when the machine comes back I will tear it apart till I find the short. I just don't know. Have to do something

  16. #16thepumpguysc2014-10-04 06:33

    IF you follow the bottom wire, you'll see it plugs into the h2o temp sender infront of the inj. pump.. its bad. Its OK to unplug it, replace the fuse and run the engine.. its just for starting purposes.. [smoke] IF you need to, its ok to run a wire, 12v to the shut-off solenoid on top. Just be sure to unplug the bottom, cold start solenoid. Sorry for the late response.. wish I could have helped earlier.. TPG