I have a Cat 450E that has around 800hrs. on it. Ever since it was new it seemed like the engine has to spin over too many times when you are trying to start it. I changed the fuel filters the other day and the primary filter that has the sediment bowl on the bottom was only about half full of diesel. I thought the tank vent on the fuel cap might have stopped up and created a vacuum in the tank pulling the fuel back out of the filters when you kill it-the tank was venting just fine. There is no fuel leaks anywhere because the machine is like new. I've got the same engine in my Terex PT-100G and it fires up with no hesitation. Caterpillar is gonna send a mechanic out to fix it but I want to get some ideas as to what's causing the problem because I need it fixed on their first visit-warranty doesn't cover my downtime.
Maybe you never got all the air out of the injection system. Mine will sometimes start then die, until I bleed more air out. Running out of fuel is a real problem for me.
I have found that if you buy a cheep electric fuel pump and install it as close to the tank as you can then you can pressure a test and find leaks. Run out of fuel no problem, easy prime. Also install a switch because it only has to run when you need it, and it has a built in check valve so only runs 1 way and that ends any back flow to the tank. I buy for around $30.00. And leave on the machine so when your operator calls tell him to turn on the switch to help prime, and the next time it's on him.
A bit off topic i know , but is there really a need for a backhoe that weighs around 15 tons . saw one on the production line at Desford UK and it was a fair lump ,so what are the use,s for such a sized machine cheers graham
sounds like theres a loose clamp or pinhole in a line letting the fuel drain back, there may also be a fuel screen on the transfer pump which maybe partly blocked, if it has been doing it since new theres something a wrong somewhere
I think the first thing I would be doing with an 800-hour machine is complain loud & long to the dealer who sold it to fix it under warranty .......... could be a bear to find so let the guys who sold it have the grief first up.