Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

sugestions on removing bucket shanks….????

nitro ยท 2011-12-10 08:42

my 580sk was owned by a mason that went out of business , when i bought the machine the shanks were worn down to the pin holes and whoeverwelded these on wanted to make sure they never come off . i already ran out of O2 and acytelene and im wondering if i should borrow a plasma cutter from a friend . anyone have a better idea???:Banghead

Replies7
  1. #1oldseabee2011-12-10 09:03

    Do you have access to an air compressor? Rent or buy an "Air-Arc to gouge out the welds, but be sure to grind out all the carbon residue before welding the new shanks in. Be sure to use proper preheat before welding or you will get under bead cracks.

  2. #2TOM V2011-12-10 09:41

    Air arc is the best way to gouge the welds out.

  3. #3DGODGR2011-12-10 11:14

    Another option is to replace the entire cutting edge (that the shanks are welded to). It will have to be cut off of the bucket but may end up being less/easier work in the end. Another benefit is that you can buy them with shanks already welded on from the factory. This can be beneficial because you don't have to worry about pre-heating and slow-cooling. Hensley sells the lip assemblies but I would guess that others may as well. I'm sure they are not cheap. I must stress that the pre-heating/slow-cooling is very important for the life of the cutting edge (also known as the lower lip of the bucket). If not done correctly the weld creates stresses to the high carbon steel (what the cutting edge should be made of), and will be prone to cracking the lip. I do not mean hair line cracks. I mean cracked all the way through, and from front to back. Repairs only repeat the cycle.

  4. #4stumpjumper832011-12-10 15:17

    Do you have need for a smooth lip bucket?

  5. #5nitro2011-12-31 09:35

    smooth lip?.... toothess????.... you mean like grandma..

  6. #6CRAFT2011-12-31 11:26

    I'm Gonna 3rd that quote ! .... "Air-Arc" all the way you'll need at least a 300 amp welder tho, and a ton of air ...... I have a 250 amp and using even the smallest head and 3/16" carbons it's a struggle BUT can be done ..... It'd be well worth your while to take it to a guy that has one, the job is so clean and the base material will not be damaged. Cheers & "HAPPY NEW YEAR " ........ Be Safe ! ....GK

  7. #7nitro2011-12-31 19:59

    Got it all done Bought the bucket and beers to my welder friend. Lots of shielding the coors from the ultraviolet rays Happy new year y all