Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 623G

Jim Irwin ยท 2009-07-14 03:35

Hi guys. I am on the lookout for a 623G, and apart from the usual spin from CAT dealers, what are the good and bad points on the 623G? Any info greatly appreciated. Jim

Replies7
  1. #1DPete2009-07-14 10:31

    A 623 in any model is a very productive machine in most materials except slabby gumbo, rocks and blow sand. I have a pair neither are G's, one is an E that has been repowered with G parts. The tier 3 C15 may not have quite the grunt of the 3406 but power is adequate and fuel consumption is less. The other is a late F with the same scraper as the G. The only negatives I can think of is the elevator chain adjustment was changed from very simply raising the small roller to a hydraulic grease and shim affair which is fine but much more complicated with seals to go bad etc. The other is Cat went to a smaller diameter roller on the rolling floor, we all know a big wheel turns easier than a small one. They are a complicated machine and need to be looked after, we grease every day. I can't comment on the G's joy stick control someone else probably can. Good luck, machine prices are way down here in the US and it's a good time to buy if you have the work. DP

  2. #2Jim Irwin2009-07-14 22:34

    Thanks Pete, that info is good. Any other operators/owners with 623G good/bad experience?

  3. #3TD14A2009-07-20 17:00

    2005 cat 623g Hi Jim I have sent several 623G's down under the last couple of years. They have been very popular in many applications. Please contact me at [email protected]

  4. #4Cmark2009-07-21 10:03

    Do you have a serial number in mind? Some had lots of reworks published...

  5. #5TD14A2009-07-21 12:49

    Hi Cmark Not sure what you mean by ' reworks published....'

  6. #6Cmark2009-07-21 15:57

    Also known as a service letter. How Cat communicate to their dealers that some machines may develop a specific fault and what action the dealer can take to rectify the issue...

  7. #7TD14A2009-07-21 16:32

    Oh, sure. Like a PIP ( Product Improvement ... something or other ) I like to check and make sure they're all up to snuff. If you would like to discuss something specific, I left my email on a previous post.