Hey everyone, I recently bought a old CAT 922B wheel loader which I am repairing but I am struggling with the transmission. The engine runs very smoothly and nice but the transmission struggles to go into 4 wheel low and don't want to go into 2 wheel high and there must be 2 gears but I only get it into 1st gear. Also there a looseness on the steering wheel which makes it hard to control where the machine goes. Any help from anyone who know something from this machines will be appreciated, thank you.
To go from two wheel drive to four wheel drive the rear wheels have to be straight ahead and no load on the transmission, otherwise it is just tight. As for driving straight ahead. I believe you have to be really drunk to get them to drive straight, because there is no way in hell any of these rear wheel steer machines no matter what manufacturer made them went straight when you drove them when sober. I think mine has about half a turn of steering wheel play before the wheels turn. Great loaders though. Pity about the crap brakes they fitted, like everything from that era, Caterpillar bought the brake system from the "go faster braking company"
I bought a new one in 1969 and the tranny was hard shifting right out of the box. Sometimes you can lift the front end up with the loader and get it to shift easier. There is two gears on the speed shifter. As far as the steering, the bell crank below the radiator housing my need a rebuilding. Mine always steered good.
Thanks grandpa, so to get it to shift easier I need to lift the front up with the bucket? Any other tricks you may know about? Thank you
Thanks RC, maybe I need to replace the steering cylinder oor something to get it to steer better. Yes the brakes are crap, mine does not work but maybe if I have time I can try fixing them. All of my gauges and electrics is also not working so maybe I need to replace all of them too. Thanks.
You can not replace the steering cylinder, it is that old and obsolete. It is actually a fully welded unit. I rebuilt mine by cutting through the welds on a lathe. Taking the cylinder to a hydraulic rebuild shop and they honed the cylinder and made a new oversize piston to suit. As well as a new chromed rod, I modified mine to make it easier to replace the wiper and head seals. Then I welded it all back together. Later on I had the steering spool valve which bolts to the back of the steering cylinder chromed and refitted to the spool block to stop oil leaks. The steering runs on a second hydraulic pump bolted on the end of the main pump which is right under the seat. The steering only runs at 500psi. The pumps are just vickers vane pumps, and aftermarket should still be easily available. They are a great old loader the 922. Very heavily built for the horsepower. The planetary gears for the wheels went straight into the 930. In fact you could probably fit a 930 front axle to a 922.
Ohh thats sound like a lot of work. Maybe it isn't the steering cylinder. Grandpa recommended the bell crank. Does the machine have normal air brakes? I'll check it out
Do you have the brake shoes adjusted correctly? If I recall the book for mine had the brake shoe adjusting procedure printed wrong. IIRC you adjust the bottom of the shoes first and then the tops. Boy its been a long time but mine had very good brakes on it.
I did not yet tried adjusting the brake shoes. Does it have normal air brakes? The water trap thing on right hand side blows out oil if I open the tap on the bottom. Maybe the air compressor is not working correctly. Do you maybe know where I can get a book for this machine? I only have the parts book, I also have the serial number if it is necessary.
Try asking this guy. Apparently he has a load of old Cat manuals he's wanting to get shot of. HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks