Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 926M Endless EATS Issues

Bullitt · 2026-07-21 09:01

Trying to come up with a plan for diagnosing an intermittent 3820-9 code on a CAT 926M CAT0926MELTE07795. The codes are very intermittent sometimes it won't set for days, and sometimes it will set often enough to trigger an inducement derate. I think 3820-9 refers to the control module in the attached picture, and not the pump or the header, but I am not positive. When it does derate, I can run an Aftertreatment Functional Test in about 10–15 minutes and everything passes, and it will be good for a while. This machine has had a lot of EATS failures over the past 3 years or so, it has about 11k hours on it. I've had to replace the DEF header as well as 2 NOx sensors and an EGT sensor. Those were a bit more straight forward than this failure though. The checked the resistance of the CAN network, looked over wiring looms, and load tested power and ground. Short of long term logging the CAN bus to see what's happening on the wire, or replacing the module pictured I am a bit confused. Has anyone had this issue or have any insight on the EATS CAN network on these machines? CAT SIS lists the fault as "Aftertreatment #1 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Controller : Abnormal Update Rate" And I only inferred "Aftertreatment #1 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Controller" is the module pictured from looking at other codes related to that label...

Replies4
  1. #1pumkinhead2026-07-21 10:01

    i would check software version, their was an update for this exact issue " Description Of Change: New DCU software is available. The new software fixes an issue where the following diagnostic code would become active which would lead to operator inducements and engine derates: 3360-9 or 3820-9 Aftertreatment #1 DEF Controller : Abnormal Update Rate The diagnostic code was raised due to differences in current draw between new NOx sensors and previous components."

  2. #2Bullitt2026-07-21 11:14

    Do you have a article number for this? I must of missed it! Thanks

  3. #3pumkinhead2026-07-21 11:22

    M0135915

  4. #4Bullitt2026-08-15 20:18

    Machine updated, issue resolved.