Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 938m bucket link pin on coupler.

Plummer194 · 2025-11-19 20:54

I have a P5K01390 938m had to remove the quick coupler today for welding repair. It has a Craig coupler not that i think this matters but I had to take off the bucket link off at the lever. I could not get the pin out that the link attaches to the quick coupler. The link slides on the pin back and forth no problem. How tight should this pin be I know it’s a different style pin. I could only get it to move about 1/4 inch. I figured once I got my snap ring off it would just tap out like all the other pins with medium force. I attached some pictures of the pin I mean. It is a high lift front arm as well. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2025-11-20 04:09

    You're right. It should drive out with nothing larger than a 4lb hammer. The only thing I can think off the top of my head is that maybe the pin has worn and has a step in it that is making it hang up. Large hammer required.?

  2. #2Plummer1942025-11-20 05:34

    Oh I had a Thor hammer on it and it wouldn’t move anymore couldn’t even get it to go back in. I even heated the bosses a bit. I will thermal lance it out and clean it all up and put a new pin in it and seal and bushing in the link. Thanks @Nige

  3. #3Nige2025-11-20 06:16

    There is nothing quite so satisfying as turning a pin to liquid metal to get it out....