I have a JD 555B. It turns well in one direction, but will not turn sharp in the other. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment I can make to fix that? I've been looking for a manual for it, but can't seem to find one at a reasonable price. If you have suggestions on that, I'd like those too. Thanks!
Check ebay for a decent used manual, have seen many on there. As to steering issue, if the brake band is worn slick it could be slipping but I would put a pressure gauge on the hydraulic supply for the clutches, you may be having excess bleed off thru worn release actuator seals and the clutch is just not fully releasing. You will need the manula to see where to tap in for pressures, and get a decent gauge at least 1 1/2-2 times the rated pressures to be expected.
Ebay is a good source for manuals. We buy from there all the time. I believe DMiller is mistaken though in saying a leak at the clutches may be the cause of your problem. My reason for saying this is that the clutches are applied using oil pressure not released. So any leakage would result in a slipping clutch. It's likely to be a band out of adjustment or worn out. Good luck. Steve. www.pdmechanical.com
All steering clutches I have worked are spring apply, it requires a fluid mechanism or linkage to disengage the clutches to allow slippage and once the pressure is removed the spring tension reconnects the friction surfaces and the clutch is engaged. If you do not have sufficient hydraulic pressure, from leakage or failing/ failed pump then you do not get disengagement, leakage at the clutch actuators will cause the clutches to not disengage fully and drag or fail to slip enough for the brake to hold the drum and allow the rail to stop for turning. The only hydraulic apply system I am aware of is hydrostat systems or torgue converter systems, auto trans systems use spring disengage and hydraulic engage but that is not the same as steering clutches.
Dmiller. Dont mean to be argumentative but........ I agree MOST steering clutches are of the type you are referring to. However the 555B is not. The 450C and later, 555, 555B and others are oil pressure applied clutches. They utilize an oil actuated piston to put pressure on the discs. The pressure is released to allow the clutch to slip. There is a short hose inside the housing that will occasionally blow. This results in no drive on the corresponding side. I've included a parts breakdown of the assy. You'll see how it works. Steve. View attachment 99961
Had not had one of these apart, seems simple enough so the line would attach to component 16, feed oil thru the gap between the #15 rings into the piston chamber #12 driving the piston #8 into the clutch plates. Why would anyone design a clutch that fails disengaged?
Yes thats the method of operation. There is also a second hose from, what ill call "the collector". It caries any leakage around the rings back into the system. I'm guessing the reason may have been a more positive drive. Less chance for slippage. Without doing the math I imagine the pressure applied to the clutch assy using hyd's is much greater than can be achieved using conventional springs. Usually very little trouble with this system.
The 350c and later use this system as well.