Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 941 steering clutch stopped releasing. Please Help

Robert Lee Byrd ยท 2020-04-23 21:30

Hello everyone, I will explain the best I can and I hope someone can help. I have a Cat 941 pedal steer machine. The machine was being used and would steer but was kinda finicky. Sometimes it would take a second to for clutch to release and would have to run over half to full throttle to work. Was using the machine to push some brush and it acted funny a couple times and didn't want to steer then would work again. Then all of a sudden nothing. It has good brakes, just the steering clutches won't release. First thing we checked was fluid and screen and filter. Screen was dirty and filter was also. Also had a chunk of like gasket or rubber in it. Changed the filter and cleaned screen, put it back together and still nothing. Checked filter again and it wasn't even wet from fluid. Started reading and someone suggested the steering clutch pump. We installed a new pump and field the two going to the pump with fluid as suggested. Started the machine let it run for a little bit and still nothing. Check filter again and filter is still dry like pump is not pumping fluid up to it. Someone suggested an air leak, if it is what in some of the fluid still move just at low pressure? And if so where do I start? Thank you

Replies10
  1. #1petepilot2020-04-23 22:19

    do you have access to the manual? find & post the ser.# of the tractor

  2. #2Robert Lee Byrd2020-04-23 22:33

    I don't have a manual other than the aftermarket one I posted. I will have to get serial # when I go back down to the machine. And I'm not sure why your wanting it but the machine is a factory pedal steer if that is what you're wondering.

  3. #3Nige2020-04-23 22:53

    Having the Serial Number will enable people to find the correct technical information appropriate to your particular machine. There are four different models of 941.

  4. #4petepilot2020-04-23 23:06

    thanks nige

  5. #5Robert Lee Byrd2020-04-23 23:38

    Oh ok, I will get and post as soon as I go back down. I appreciate it.

  6. #6Robert Lee Byrd2020-04-23 23:39

    I wasn't trying to be smart just so you know. I was just wondering myself and Nige answered why. I appreciate it, I will post as soon as I go back down to the machine and get it.

  7. #7petepilot2020-04-23 23:52

    didn't think that at all. rubber in the screen & filter makes me think blockage at the pickup tube

  8. #8Robert Lee Byrd2020-04-24 00:05

    Ok good. And as far as pickup tube, are you referring to the tube that goes in the bottom of the sump case? And if so how do I check for a blockage or get to it?

  9. #9petepilot2020-04-24 01:36

    bob don`t have access to my info source this late at night but myself or someone will come up with more info tomorrow

  10. #10Robert Lee Byrd2020-04-24 01:38

    Thank you very much