Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 943 Key (Disconnect Switch)

sealark37 ยท 2016-06-22 21:04

Six weeks ago I put the key in the switch on my 943. It would turn and click, but it would not pass electricity. I removed it from the panel, after stripping out the threaded grommets at the corners of the panel, and threaded it out thru the engine access panel. When I cut it apart, it was just a mass of corrosion and rot. I went on line, and found one that looked just like the old one, for a mere $19. It took a while to clean the stripped grommets and epoxy them in place, and to wrestle the cables into place. While I was in there, I replaced the hour meter and blanked off the holes left by the missing panel light and ether switch. The new switch turned and clicked like a new one, and worked as advertised. It worked like a charm for a month, then one day it would not turn or click, much less pass electricity. Monday, I dropped by the local Cat dealer, and ordered a new Cat switch. It was $83, and said, "Made in Mexico". With my previous practice, I installed the new switch in short order. Turned, clicked, and passed electricity like it was made to. I should have known better. Regards, Clark

Replies1
  1. #1Dickjr.2016-06-22 22:10

    You talking about the 2 prong key switch? Lots of times you can find nos CAT on ebay for a decent price.