Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 950G No output from ECM to starter relay

Brian Bobb · 2022-12-28 16:54

Can anyone help me figure this out. Power from the key switch is going into the ECM through wire 307 but no output from 306. G763 and G764 has ground but it just won't send the output to start the engine.

Replies45
  1. #1ahart2022-12-28 17:51

    Do you have ET to be able to see what the status of the parking brake and FNR switch is?

  2. #2Nige2022-12-28 18:09

    Also it would be nice if you posted a machine Serial Number, or even better the Publication Reference to the electrical schematic, so that we could look at the same thing you are.........

  3. #3Brian Bobb2022-12-28 18:10

    Sadly I don't.

  4. #4Brian Bobb2022-12-28 18:14

    6JK01798 is the serial number for it. Oh I don't know the publication reference just the starting starting system and the park brake wires numbers I got from a guy.

  5. #5Brian Bobb2022-12-28 18:19

    I think that was the engine serial number. 2JS00349 is the machine pin number.

  6. #6Nige2022-12-28 18:26

    Sorry I thought you were looking at the electrical schematic when you quoted those wire numbers. I'll send you an appropriate schematic.

  7. #7Brian Bobb2022-12-28 19:00

    Thank you.

  8. #8Brian Bobb2022-12-28 19:02

    Is there a way to check the FNR without the ET?

  9. #9Shivan Dookeran2022-12-29 08:34

    hey id love a trip to stl .... im right next door on a real it could be the fnr switch

  10. #10Brian Bobb2022-12-29 09:30

    You're right next door? Dominica? Saint Vincent? Trinidad? Lol. How can I go about checking the FNR switch? When I use a multimeter and check the wires from the switch, the ground connects to neutral and disconnect when you switch to either forward or reverse.

  11. #11ahart2022-12-29 09:45

    Looking at the schematic it sounds like the switch itself is working correctly, I would check the wires from the switch connector to the ECM connector. I’ve seen a few harnesses break in the steering column and cause issues.

  12. #12Brian Bobb2022-12-29 10:03

    I checked the wires from the FNR and the keys witch, they both are sending the ground and the power when you turn the key to the start position. I checked the schematics that I got from Nige and 306 is the one that sends the output to the starter relay but nothing is coming out from that. I honestly don't know what else could be the problem. Also it is a new ECM that was installed.

  13. #13ahart2022-12-29 10:08

    Parking brake? What was the reason for the new powertrain ECM?

  14. #14Brian Bobb2022-12-29 10:15

    I am getting continuity with the ground wire for pink wire marked G764 and no continuity with the yellow wire marked 419 and the ground wire.

  15. #15ahart2022-12-29 10:28

    That tells me that your parking brake is off.

  16. #16Brian Bobb2022-12-29 10:48

    It should be one? I've played with the switch and even disconnected the plug and it still will not crank the engine.

  17. #17ahart2022-12-29 10:51

    Hav you tried a jumper wire between the black and yellow wire?

  18. #18Brian Bobb2022-12-29 10:55

    Yeah, I tried jumping the black and yellow wire and the ECM still refuse to send power out the green wire marked 306. What else could possibly cause it to not want to crank?

  19. #19Nige2022-12-29 11:16

    So what’s the story behind the replacement powertrain ECM Brian.? Is it new.? Is it flashed with the correct software.? Do you know what P/N of software is installed in it.?

  20. #20Brian Bobb2022-12-29 12:21

    Someone came and stole the original one from it so we both a new one and just installed it. No, I don't know the software that is installed on it.

  21. #21ahart2022-12-29 12:35

    Well did it ever start after the new ECM was installed?

  22. #22Brian Bobb2022-12-29 12:50

    Not from the key switch. We started it from the start relay by jumping the power wire and the one that goes to the starter.

  23. #23ahart2022-12-29 13:09

    Ok I would recommend getting someone with ET on it. If the ECM was bought over the counter from a CAT dealer and not ran through the service department, it is a blank box and has no software in it.

  24. #24Brian Bobb2022-12-29 13:12

    Alright I will see to get someone with an ET. If the ECM is blank, it would still start like how we were starting it from the starter relay?

  25. #25Nige2022-12-29 15:24

    Did you buy it from the dealer.? If you did, did nobody from the Parts Dept tell you that you were buying a blank box.?

  26. #26Nige2022-12-29 15:40

    I reckon so. The engine is not electronically-controlled (no ECM) and the power from the batteries goes direct to the starter motor solenoid.

  27. #27Brian Bobb2022-12-29 15:41

    Yes, it was from a dealer. No one made mention that it would be a blank box we would be buying. So we have to send it back to have the software flashed?

  28. #28Nige2022-12-29 15:54

    You do indeed. The problem is you bought it from the Parts Dept, but it is the Service Dept who will have to flash it with the correct software, so it is them to whom you need to be speaking. Often times (as it appears in this case) it's as though the two Departments don't speak to one another............ The Parts Dept ought to have known that the ECM was blank and should have told you though.......... EDIT: To give you an idea there are well over 1000 different applications for that particular Part Number of ECM, plus earlier superceded P/Ns for the same thing, across the Cat Product Line. The installed software in the ECM is what gives the "machine identity".

  29. #29Shivan Dookeran2022-12-29 16:17

    Trinidad so question , if you bridge the starter pins does it start ? Does it work ? Was the ecm.replaced with the exact same one ? Don't figure the pins are the same because they are different. Also the software needs to be correctly installed. Nige can help alot

  30. #30Brian Bobb2022-12-29 16:29

    Oh, so the parts department doesn't automatically send it to the service department to have them flash the relevant software? To be honest, it was our parts guy that did the ordering. Lol also I did not know all of this when it comes to CAT. So with the CAT serial number, they would be able to get the right software for the 950G that we have seeing that the original was stolen for is to have been able to get its P/N.

  31. #31Brian Bobb2022-12-29 16:31

    Trinidad, nice. I have an aunt there. Yes, it would start and run smoothly. I should have mentioned also, no other functions work. Could this all be due to it potentially being a blank ECM?

  32. #32Nige2022-12-29 16:50

    Oh now he tells us.......... Absolutely. Nothing in the powertrain will work with a blank PT ECM installed, and none of the Implement Hydraulkics will work because the PT & Implement ECMs can't talk to one another.

  33. #33Brian Bobb2022-12-29 16:54

    Lol forgive me for keeping that key information out. Definitely need to send that back.

  34. #34Nige2022-12-29 16:57

    The dealer Parts Dept should have told your parts guy that it needed flashing IMHO. Any on-the-ball parts guy at the dealership should have made the call to the service department himself. Should be able to. What P/N of ECM did they supply.? 172-9389.? According to me for machine 2JS00349 with a PT ECM P/N 172-9389 installed the correct (latest P/N) of software should be 229-4976 - but I suggest that you simply give the Service Dept just the machine S/N and let them tell YOU what P/N of software ought to be in the PT ECM.

  35. #35Brian Bobb2022-12-29 19:45

    They probably were had a lot going on causing them not to do that. It is a learning experience for us. I will have to check it tomorrow to see which one he got. Nige, you are always a wealth of information and of great help. Man, I really do appreciate you for always being of assistance.

  36. #36Shivan Dookeran2022-12-30 20:48

    who is the dealer may i ask ? i dont know anyone on that island who may be able to help tho .. again .. im just a 35 min flight away

  37. #37Nige2022-12-30 20:55

    Remember it's not just me. Others like ahart & Shiv have chimed in along the way and to get to where you are right now has taken a team effort.

  38. #38Brian Bobb2022-12-31 17:03

    That is true. Thank you ahart and Shiv for your contribution as well. You guys have been on great help.

  39. #39Brian Bobb2022-12-31 17:04

    To be honest, I don't know. Our parts guy lives in Miami. We've been trying to reach him but no reply as yet to get more info. Maybe due to the holiday he's enjoying it so I guess we will have to wait until the new year.

  40. #40Shivan Dookeran2023-01-02 10:30

    Don't know how much they gonna charge but I have my guys here I can put you onto that can and will be able to sort you out . Hey nige does the axx and 2js have the same Trans ecu?

  41. #41Nige2023-01-02 11:05

    At the end of the day they do, along with about a 1000 other models. As stated previously it's the software that's installed in a particular ECM that gives it its "identity" - and here's the rub. The newest iteration of software for a 2JS machine is 229-4976. The software for an AXX Series II machine is 255-7943 and the two don't cross reference to one another that I can see. My guess is they don't. In general to take an ECM loaded with a specific software P/N and re-flash it with a non-related software P/N is not possible without a "wash file". This is a specific P/N of software that will erase all the information that is on the ECM, effectively leaving it blank, just like a brand-new ECM would be if you bought one from the Parts system (isn't that where we came in.?). At that point you can flash any software you like into it, provided of course that the software is designed to be installed into that particular P/N of ECM. There were Part Number updates of that transmission ECM along the way also, so you might find any of these Part Numbers. The 2JS Series I machine was originally built with a 142-3363 ECM. This was replaced in the Parts System by 160-1758 which was in turn replaced by 172-9389. It appears as thought the AXX Series II machine was originally built with the 172-9389.

  42. #42Olori Joshua2023-01-07 10:58

    According to you, new ecm installed. What did you do to the new ecm before installing it? What happen to the old ecm?

  43. #43Nige2023-01-07 11:13

    Answer to Q1 - nothing. The new replacement ECM is apparently blank. Q2: The original ECM was stolen.

  44. #44Olori Joshua2023-01-07 14:16

    Ok. The new Ecm comes unprogrammed which must be flash programme with it's correct flash file before even trying to start.

  45. #45Shivan Dookeran2023-01-07 14:18

    Hey op any update ? Was the ecm sent back to Mia?