Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michelin tires 20.5 x 25 radial

James S Coad · 2022-12-28 16:58

Could someone please tell me the tire pressure in a 1993 544g loader Michelin 20.5 x 25 Book says 10lb different between these two types Type L2 / L3 Don't see anywhere on tire this reference. Thanks

Replies24
  1. #1heymccall2022-12-28 17:05

    We run them anywhere from 35 to 60 psi, on my 930k, 544G, 544J and WA270-7 and WA270-8. If I'm asked to air them, I usually do 60 front and 50 rear. The Michelin XTLA is an L2, and the XHA is an L3. I've been running the XTLA tires, as I can't justify the $300 more for the XHA, per tire.

  2. #2James S Coad2022-12-28 17:19

    Thanks, so then 45 psi all around should suffice? Or would you go 50 psi

  3. #3heymccall2022-12-28 17:21

    We run 60 front and 50 rear, but, we travel the road quite a bit, and carry heavy. 45frt/ 45rr is adequate for almost everything else.

  4. #4James S Coad2022-12-28 17:25

    Travel road quite a bit also, Then just move snow. Maybe I should do 50 rear, 60 front

  5. #5James S Coad2022-12-28 17:48

    One more question My Michelin tires say XR, and under the R, d1 so do you know if that's l2 or l3 Thanks

  6. #6James S Coad2022-12-28 17:48

    L2 or L3

  7. #7Tones2022-12-28 18:54

    IMHO roading 4 wheel drive machines with different front to back tyre pressures is asking for trouble even with the same size tyres. The radius from the ground to the wheel centre is different which can cause failure at the weakest link in the drive train

  8. #8Nige2022-12-28 18:59

    R stands for Radial AFAIK. D1 is an indication of the rubber compound. Please post a couple of photo of the tyre showing the writing on the sidewall and the tread pattern. It should be identifiable from those photos what the TRA designation is. TBH L2 would be very unusual for a wheel loader tyre, the only caveat being what you have bought may not specifically be wheel loader tyres.

  9. #9James S Coad2022-12-28 19:15

    Ok thanks will get pictures and upload asap

  10. #10heymccall2022-12-28 21:23

    Nige, we run L-2 tires on all my loaders. Many came with L-3 tires, though.

  11. #11heymccall2022-12-28 21:29

    Nige, Michelin suggests different front and rear pressures. Borrowed from here https://pressureadvisor.michelinearthmover.com/en/optimize/JOHN+DEERE/544K+High-Lift+Powerllel

  12. #12heymccall2022-12-28 21:31

    And, for my Komatsu

  13. #13Nige2022-12-28 21:38

    Good enough. It must have been in the larger sizes I was thinking of. L3 was the lowest rating in loader tyres and TBH you didn’t see many of them. T’wasn’t me who mentioned the pressure issue it was Tones. I agree completely that generally front tyres run a higher pressure than rears, often by as much as a 30psi difference between the two. Regarding tyre size differences F & R of the same size tyres as a result of wear and/or different inflation pressures - SAE standard J2204 states that the difference in average rolling radius between the tyres on the front and on the rear axles can be up to 3% without the drive train suffering any detrimental effects.

  14. #14heymccall2022-12-28 21:40

    Sorry, Nige....didn't mean to call you out on tire pressures. It's just that you guys all look alike and I get confused.

  15. #15James S Coad2022-12-28 21:46

    Thanks but I'm pretty sure that the tires on our loader aren't listed here. They are Michelin tires but if I'm not mistaken original tires from 1993. Still in good shape, I'm thinking 45 lb front and rear. Anything wrong with that ?

  16. #16James S Coad2022-12-28 21:50

    So is a 22.5 x 20 radial an L-2 or L-3? I'm being confused here

  17. #17James S Coad2022-12-28 21:53

    On the Michelin chart you posted I don't see my precise tire. I see lots of the same size but none match mine exactly. So now again I'm confused

  18. #18Nige2022-12-28 22:03

    Let me try to explain. There is no particular relation between the size of a tyre and its TRA Code. A 20.5R25 loader tyre can be any of the following - L2, L3, L4, or L5. The L means the Tyre is designed for loader service, the number is an indication of how strong it is and its load-carrying capacity. This article might clear up some of your confusion - https://www.tnr-international.com/tire_school/tra-code/

  19. #19Volvomad2022-12-29 11:18

    I dont get too hung up on rolling radius because in normal operation as when loaded or unloaded there will be significant changes to rolling radius front and back unless you aint carrying much. Normally keep 10 psi more in front for stability so the rears can absorb more bumps. But for me, a compromise between stability, comfort and leakage.

  20. #20James S Coad2022-12-29 11:26

    My tires don't say any L rating. Just Michelin R adial x. 20.5 x 25 Have looked really well. So then 45 rear 55 front or 45 all four ?

  21. #21Nige2022-12-29 16:30

    Still waiting for photos............ As the old saying goes a picture can replace 1000 words

  22. #22James S Coad2022-12-29 19:23

    Yes I haven't forgotten, been busy trying to dig out , shoveling roofs. One day soon ok

  23. #23heymccall2022-12-29 21:21

    Maybe this?

  24. #24John C.2022-12-30 10:52

    The difference in pressure from front to rear has to do with the front to back bouncing that happens when traveling the machine at higher speeds. If you don't travel a long way at high speed then make front and back pressures the same. The numbers in the L ratings represent the original tread depth. A L-5 tire has very thick tread bars which makes the tire subject to heat degradation. The tread depth on an L-3 tire is a whole lot less. Also involved on OTR tires are the rubber compound designations which are not standardized. Michelin uses a D1 and D2 designation indicating one rating is harder than the other. The harder rubber is less subject to cuts and chunking but rides very rough. Goodyear, Bridgestone, Yokohama and the Korean brands do things differently. When I had questions about tires on a per machine basis, I usually went to the dealers. If someone well versed on the subject couldn't be contacted, I would call the dealer of the tire. Now days all the tire companies put their data books on line where they can be freely down loaded. The Michelin book is too large to post here so I put on the Bridgestone book for illustration.