Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 953

Bill1985 · 2021-03-12 15:49

Hey guys I have a -question on my cat 1997 953 thats smoking pretty bad anyone have any idea on what I should do

Replies44
  1. #1Nige2021-03-12 16:58

    What (if anything) have you tried so far.? Checked/changed air filters for example..?

  2. #2Bill19852021-03-12 17:36

    I have cleaned the water separator, about to change the fuel filter

  3. #3Nige2021-03-12 19:09

    I would suggest to take a look at the air filters, even run the engine for a couple of minutes with no air filters in it just for a trial. Is it consuming engine oil.?

  4. #4Bill19852021-03-12 19:33

    How do I check to see of its consuming oil?

  5. #5Bill19852021-03-12 19:44

    Update: It is not consuming oil

  6. #6kshansen2021-03-12 19:47

    Not being familiar with a 953, a serial number would be helpful! Does it have some kind of pre-cleaner before the actual air filter? I have seen where they get over looked and get so plugged that even with new filters in the housing the restriction can be enough to trip the restriction gauge. Now that I mentioned that restriction gauge does your machine have one? They are often mounted in the piping between the filter housing and the turbocharger.

  7. #7Nige2021-03-12 20:02

    What I was asking is do you have to top up the engine oil on a regular basis.? Did this problem start suddenly or has the smoking symptom been slowly getting worse over an extended period of time.? Have you pulled the dipstick to check if the engine oil level is not excessively high.? That could indicate an internal fuel leak. Last question, for now at least. Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it.?

  8. #8kshansen2021-03-13 07:07

    And if you wonder why we ask for the S/N just take a look below at the list below. Note that those are only the prefixes (first three letters or numbers of a S/N). Each one of those could have several breaks in the number range that will in many case indicate major changes to some parts of a machine. Not trying to be a jerk, can do that without trying most days, but trying to be sure you are getting the best answer possible. TRACK-TYPE LOADER Model Prefix 953 TRACK LOADER 05Z 953 TRACK LOADER 20Z 953 TRACK LOADER 44Z 953 TRACK LOADER 76Y 953 TRACK LOADER 77Y 953 TRACK LOADER 78Y 953B TRACK LOADER 5MK 953C TRACK LOADER 2ZN 953C TRACK LOADER BBX 953D TRACK LOADER LBP 953K TRACK LOADER JNR 953K TRACK LOADER LJT

  9. #9Dave Neubert2021-03-13 07:37

    Like Nige said have you checked the air filters it sounds terrible is it hard to start you got to give us something to go on

  10. #10Tyler d4c2021-03-13 09:17

    3204 always seemed to drink some oil anyhow

  11. #11Bill19852021-03-13 09:20
  12. #12Bill19852021-03-13 09:22

    Hers some background, About 4 weeks ago we left it parked and it would just crank crank and not start, but just 2 days ago I went and changed all the connections and battery and it fired right up, Now it seems to smoking pretty bad and loosing some power

  13. #13Nige2021-03-13 09:52

    So the smoking was not an issue before it was parked 4 weeks ago.? Try removing both inner & outer air filter elements and start it up. See if the smoke levels change.

  14. #14Bill19852021-03-13 09:59

    No it never smoked like this before it shut off, After I got it started it started smoking. So to answer you're question It did not smoke before it shut off on me

  15. #15Nige2021-03-13 10:02

    Right. Pull both air cleaner elements and start it up without them, just for a couple of minutes. Report back what happens.

  16. #16Bill19852021-03-13 10:11

    Alright ill record a video

  17. #17Nige2021-03-13 10:14

    You don't necessarily have to record a video. Just see if the smoke level reduces or even disappears completely. When you pull the air cleaner elements out, take a good look at them and "weigh" them in your hand. Air cleaner elements are not very heavy, but if yours have absorbed significant quantities of water somehow they will feel like lifting a brick. The larger one should only weigh 6 pounds, the smaller one 3 pounds. While you are testing it would be worth opening up the precleaner assembly (circled) and give the bowl a good clean out.

  18. #18Bill19852021-03-13 10:22

    Should I remove the inner filter thats inside of the big filter?

  19. #19DB22021-03-13 10:30

    If you do remove it wipe the filter housing with a wet rag to get rid of any residual dust before starting.

  20. #20Nige2021-03-13 10:34

    Temporarily, yes. You only have to run the engine for a couple of minutes. As DB2 suggested above, make sure the inside of the air filter housing is clean before removing the inner filter to make the test.

  21. #21Bill19852021-03-13 10:56

    Picture of the inner filters

  22. #22Nige2021-03-13 11:08

    Is that a ring of dust around the flange where the inner filter bolts into the housing.? Hard to see from the photo. Go into the tube that leads from the filter housing to the engine with a clean (preferably white) rag and give the inside of it a good wipe. Any dust on the rag..?

  23. #23Bluox2021-03-13 14:10

    What did you find in the fuel filters? Bob

  24. #24kshansen2021-03-13 14:32

    Have a couple questions about that inner filter. First off why is it look so dark? Second why are there twigs and stuff in there, see picture below I cropped out of the one posted: One more question where abouts is this machine located? If it was running good then next time it was started it was smoking, what was the weather like in the time it was parked. Did it set out in a major rain storm with exhaust uncovered or something else?

  25. #25kshansen2021-03-13 14:42

    I just noticed this sentence so I highlighted it with red letters. That maybe something that others might have missed also. Why did it shut off? What did you do to determine this problem? If this was mentioned some place different I missed it but it could be an important bit of information to know while working on the smoking problem!

  26. #26Dave Neubert2021-03-13 14:45

    If it happened suddenly my guess would be head gasket blown between 2 cylinders it will smoke pretty good I have seen many do this

  27. #27kshansen2021-03-13 14:52

    And I just went back and watched the video and there seems to be a lot of smoke coming out of the area by the turbo, muffler and piping looks odd too. To be honest I have no experience with 3204 engines if that is what it is, but 3306 up to D399 are more my experience range, does not sound right even for a four cylinder! I'm thinking something more than a plugged air filter is going on here, but that needs to be checked out too !

  28. #28Cmark2021-03-13 16:15

    I'm not usually one for wild speculation but I'm going to say that a tip has fallen off an injector, just for the kudos if I happen to be right

  29. #29Bill19852021-03-13 17:01

    Update: Smoke was the same and same noises

  30. #30Nige2021-03-13 18:13

    In that case my learned friend’s bet that a tip had fallen off an injector is probably not far off the mark. BTW based on the condition of the air filter elements in the photo both of them need replacing. Kudos to KSH for spotting the poor condition of the secondary element. I’d say at some time the loader has been operated with the primary (outer) filter not installed, or there is a split in the filter somewhere that is letting dirt pass directly to the secondary element.

  31. #31Cmark2021-03-13 18:30

    And if it were my machine I would be updating to radial seal air filters.

  32. #32kshansen2021-03-13 19:29

    Yes, those bolt in "safety" filters are not the funniest ones to change, especially when the gasket pulls apart down in the housing or one of the studs break off!

  33. #33Bill19852021-03-14 09:32

    Still no luck any more suggestions? Maybe bad turbo, injector??

  34. #34Bill19852021-03-14 10:02

    Thats just from a poor muffler job repair

  35. #35Nige2021-03-14 12:02

    A couple of questions first. 1. Need to clarify if the engine was running fine until it was shut down 4 weeks or so ago..? Was it shut down from the key at that time or did it stop on its own.? 2. Did you find any signs of dust in the air intake tube.? See post #23 above.

  36. #36kshansen2021-03-14 13:09

    Yes, would be very helpful to have the rest of the story. It's always easy for the person dealing with a problem to forget we weren't there from the start. We can only give suggestions on the information we are reading or seeing in the pictures posted. Even things like the weather or the fact that the machine was being used at near sea level and now that it has been moved to someplace at 10,497 feet above sea level could be over looked in the post but very important for someone trying to diagnose a problem.

  37. #37Cmark2021-03-14 15:51

    Is it only me that hears a misfire/regular knock on the video? I would start by loosening the injection lines in turn and see if the noise changes.

  38. #38Bluox2021-03-14 16:00

    You mean like when you loosen the bad one the motor runs better? Like when the fuel filters are full of water and the motor smokes like a pig? Not no more than a couple of dozen times. Bob

  39. #39fest7772021-03-14 16:18

    take cmark's advice crack the injectors one at a time you will find the bad cylinder, pull bad injector have it checked, also may have lost compression , try too check that, horror freight has a diesel test tool for less than $50.00

  40. #40Dave Neubert2021-03-14 17:57

    Yes I agree it sounds terrible I figured he done that already loosen the lines one at a time see if smoke goes away and knock stopes

  41. #41Bill19852021-03-16 10:06

    We were using it to clear some brush and shut it off from the key and about a week later we went back to start it it would just crank and not start, then about a few weeks after I trued new battery's but still didn't do the trick, then I changed both batteries and the cables for the battery and it then it started, Now after it started the engine smokes and is not as strong as when we parked it.

  42. #42Dave Neubert2021-03-16 11:42

    Did you try cracking each injector the to isolate the smoke and knock it has to be either a injector or a blown head gasket

  43. #43Bill19852021-03-16 12:44

    Can you please tell me how to tear the injector

  44. #44Dave Neubert2021-03-16 13:49

    Just loosen the line at the injector pump or where it goes into valve cover. to replace injector pull injectors pull top valve cover off take off 7/8 nuts from injector take the injector lines off from the pump and where they connect to rocker box remove rocker box take the 5/16 injector hold downs off remove injectors