Does anyone have the instructions to replace a front idler group on a 953 77y? The assembly I received has the idler wheel with the arms attached. So far I have the track split and unbolted the pin that connects to the yoke assembly. It looks like I will need to use a 1/2" bolt and a large socket or pipe to pull the pin out to disconnect to the yoke. For the lower pin with the 3 bolt caps, does the idler support have to be removed from one side to remove and replace? Thanks
See attached.
Remove both sides and attach side plates to idler then put it on I always tap the threaded hole out nd use a long bolt and spacer to pull pins. also run the bolt all the way in with a impact and see if you can get pin to spin that will loosen it up for easier removal
Ha, those yoke pins were rusted solid. I used a lot of oxy/acetylene and impact work before deciding to cut the ears off the old idler arms. I'm going to use my hydraulic press to get them the rest of the way out. I believe those were the original 1980s pins. Much respect for you guys that work on this stuff daily. I don't know how you make any money with the time it takes.
Charging by the hour and having the necessary tooling helps..........
I am curious, what is the right tool for a situation like this? The threads in the pin don't seem to have enough pulling force and the pin is not accessible from the backside. I had the housing red hot but no go when pulling (multiple attempts). The threads were re-tapped but were starting to strip out from the torque. Thanks
When they get badly seized like this I will punch them through until they touch the idler then cut them off with the gas. Repeat until all the pin has gone then install new ones.