I was working with my Cat 955 everything working fine, turned off and got back on about 10 minutes later and tried to steer left both tracks would stop, tried to steer right same thing both would stop. Tried turning a little at a time and it just started working again, as if it were a stuck valve or jammed gear or something. Worked with it for about 1/2 hour turned off, got back on about 1/2 hour later and the same thing happened but this time it did not correct itself. Tractor goes forward and reverse fine just can't turn left or right. This is a farm machine that only gets used once every few months. Any help would be appreciated.
Problem is likely in the steering control valve. Try releasing both sides at once a few times and see if it gets better. I would change the filter under the seat first. Later Bob
Bob, Not sure what you mean, releasing both sides? I have to pull back on steering clutch and apply break to turn. I tried pulling back on both at the same time, I also tried hitting both breaks at once, neither helped, no change. I also looked under seat, but on this machine there is no recognizable filter. Is there supposed to be a canister type filter or something. Thanks for your help.
Sorry, didn't realize you had an old one with lever steer. Not sure but yours may have a flow control spool that makes sure you have oil flow to the valve you want to use. It might be sticking if it has one. One thing to try on your machine would be to try steering and if lever doesn't get any boost, pull slightly on the other one then let it go. I think a good work out is all your machine needs. Later Bob
If this is a Hand Clutch chariot (manual trans) its worth checking the main clutch adjustment, when you pull the steering clutch lever and the drive stops on both tracks is the spider shaft still spinning between the main clutch and the G/box? tctractors p.s. its handy if you post the full detail of the shovel, e.g. 955F 60A then we would know its build status.
Went out this morning to try your suggestions, fired it up and steering worked perfectly again. I noticed that when it wasn't working the steering levers only came back a short distance as if they were obstructed in some way. When there working right, they come back to that same point but then release and go back further to engage the clutch. I could not find a model and serial # anywhere. Any suggestions, I guess it will probably happen again. Thanks
That is how they work. You pull them back and block off the oil flow through the piston, pressure builds and helps boost the releases. Oil flows to both pistons and will try to escape through the side you are not using, a flow divider holds flow to release the side in use. If this happens pull slightly on other lever a bit and it might correct it's self. Later Bob