Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fan Belt Question (955l – but not the gist of the question)

hot_rod_eddie · 2025-06-29 19:51

Hey Guys, I need some advice on a fan belt. Backstory: Shortly after I bought my 955L SN 64J05699 I had to replace the engine (long story, explained in another thread). Anyway, I got a take out engine from a local bone yard. I had to take a number of usual parts from my engine to swap over: turbo, air cleaner, fan and pulley, etc. Called CAT and ordered fan belts for my unit. I received 2p-2696 (426659) which are 22.3x1587 (.88x62.5). They were extremely tight, like loosen everything and use two pry bars to roll them on tight. The only belt tension adjustment is a slot at the alternator, like an old small block Chevy. I didn't think too much about it, and I was itching to use the machine so I installed them and went to work. Present day: I have finally gotten around to replacing my bad alternator, and I'm taking another look at these belts. Besides the fact that I can't imagine the belts should be this tight, they only have about 50 hours on them and the top section is starting to de-laminate. CAT SIS shows 7 different belts for a 955L depending on pulley group. I bought the closest next size to 62.5", which was 6N-3637 at 64.5" These were WAY too long. I assume that between all the years of age, engine swap, and who know what, the crank, fan, and/or alternator pulleys have changed size and the correct length belt is no longer 62.5" I guess I have a number of options: 1. Put on the 62.5" and keep and extra set handy 2. Measure all the pulleys and replace the ones that are needed to ensure correct fitment 3. Call CAT and see if they make a 63" belt 4. Buy a cogged C size v-belt [CX59 (7/8"x63")] from a place like Grainger, etc. What is the suggestion of the brain trust? Thanks,

Replies6
  1. #1hot_rod_eddie2025-06-29 21:01

    Option #5 - buy the right freaking belt. My belts have 426659 stamped on them. According to the interweb they are aftermarket for CAT 2P2696 (don't remember how that happened) I just measured my belts and they are actually 61.5", not 62.5" Caution on aftermarket, check the dimensions. Will go to CAT and get the 62.5. Sorry, If I knew how to delete the thread I would.

  2. #2IceHole2025-06-29 23:37

    Cx59 belt is $15 online. Anything special on CAT belts? I've used D&D (on Amazon) for all sorts of belts after looking one days years ago and finding the local store I used was way more expensive. Though recently was a pain. New to me drill press came with too short of belts. Looked it up and allegedly 29". They showed up after a week. Way too long. Order 27" and too short. A 27 and 29 too long. So ordered a set of 28", hopefully either that'll work or a 28" and 27". But took near 2 weeks, and the 28s onnly showed up.after I left for work, so will be another 3 before I can try it out. Vs at Schucks down the road, I could have done it in a day.

  3. #3Universal Parts2025-07-01 04:06

    Compared to pulleys, it is easier to replace belts. How long and wide do you need the belt to be? I can help you here.

  4. #4Nige2025-07-01 05:24

    If you go for 62.5" belts you will require 2 x 5M-5965 or the 2P-2696 belt set (2 belts) There is another option of a 63"-long belt. Part Number 4F-6390 for a single belt or 7M-4716 for a set of two.

  5. #5Universal Parts2025-07-01 06:06

    Your part number does not correspond to the required length of 63 inches. The belt number is not read like this.

  6. #6Universal Parts2025-07-01 06:25

    The numbers on the engine belt usually indicate the specifications of the belt, including key information such as the number of ribs, length or width. Different coding rules vary depending on the belt type (such as multi-ribbed belts, V-belts) and brands, and need to be interpreted in conjunction with the specific model. ‌‌‌‌ Common meaning of belt numbers ‌ ‌Multi-ribbed belts (PK type): The common number combination is "XPKYYYY" (such as 6PK1700), where: ‌X‌ represents the number of ribs (that is, the number of belt grooves, which directly affects the width and power transmission efficiency). ‌‌‌‌ 1 ‌YYYY‌ represents the effective length (in millimeters, such as 1700mm). ‌‌‌‌ 2 ‌V-belts (B type, etc.): The numbers may indicate the width (such as B50 is 50mm) or the inner circumference, and the letter prefix distinguishes the type (such as K for multi-ribbed belts and B for V-belts). For the aftermarket, you can refer to the picture below. The numbers represent what you need. I have the 63-inch model for sale here for $16 each.