Hello all! I have an old 980B with steering issues....jerky uncontrollable steering.from everything I have read in the service manual and online, I'm pretty sure it's a combination of a bunch of issues. The short story is everything is pretty well worn out. I'm wondering if anyone has converted one of these over to use an orbital valve and control valve out of a 980c ? Any input would be appreciated.
this typically points to worn steering control unit (SCU) or contaminated priority valve - but yes, the 980C orbital conversion is a known upgrade path. Why 980B steering fails: Load-sensing steering control unit: Complex internal metering/compensating that wears over time Priority valve sticking: Fails to maintain proper flow split between steering and implements Cylinder cushion valve wear: Causes harsh end-of-stroke jolting Internal spools score/stick from contamination = erratic response Rebuild your 980B SCU and priority valve properly with quality parts—may be cheaper and faster unless you're committed to the upgrade project. Search for "980B to 980C steering conversion" on this platform - guys have documented the process with photos. It works, but it's a project, not a swap.
Thank you very much for your response! I'm very interested in doing the conversion and would very much like to see the conversion that someone else here has done. I have searched here but haven't come up with anything. Maybe you or someone else can remember their name so I can find the post that way? hopefully someone else will chime in! Thanks again for your help!!