I recently was working on a c7 in a 525c cat skidder. It had a no start condition. I diagnosed a ECM failure . I did so by checking for reference voltage at the sensors and I had none. Ohmed out the wiring harness to ECM Npf . Check for input voltage and had three sources. So with out schematics and ET I diagnosed ECM failure and informed customer that he would have to cat to install new ECM as I did not have the capability to program the new ECM. Cat came and determined the ECM was in fact toast and replaced it. To the point, they left with engine light still on. The engine is running fine but they were unable to get the engine position calibration done. When trying to do this the tech had pin timed the engine on the flywheel, and the ECM would not exept the calibration. I suggested that maybe the engine was not on tdc1 but rather on 6. He rolled the engine 360 and ECM still would not accept the calibration. What is the malfunction ? I understand this is a vague questions as I have no knowledge of the workings of ET. Any help would be appreciated.
Wrong ECM?
Engine should be running.
Overworked, are you saying the engine should be running while attempting to do this calibration? If so that make sense.
Yep.
With engine off, install pickup adjust it , and follow the instructions on ET. If sensor too deep it will be ruined. Turn crankshaft to see timing hole (flywheel) or slot in crankshaft if going through side of block. Rotate so you can't see touch sensor and then back off a little.
I hope they send a guy out who knows what hes doing when they come back free of charge. Test Step 5. Calibrate the Engine Speed/Timing Sensor A.Set the engine speed to 1100 ± 50 rpm. The engine speed must be steady within this rpm range in order for the calibration to be successful. B.After the engine has warmed up, access the "Timing Calibration" screen on the Cat ET. Access the following display screens in order: ◦Service ◦Calibrations ◦Timing Calibration C.To calibrate the timing, select "Continue" on Cat ET. Wait until Cat ET indicates that the timing is calibrated. Expected Result: Cat ET indicates that the timing is calibrated. Results: •OK - Cat ET indicates that the timing is calibrated.
I was going off top of my head, don't know of any that get calibrated shut off.
I was on the other side of the job when the calibration was going on, and apparently the engine was running when the attempt was made. They have no intention of coming back for free. i need to invest in some cat ET it appears. I have seen post on here before about such i think i will pursue acquiring the necessary set up. Thanks for the help fellows.
The probe for timing calibration has to ordered separately .its a 6v2197 probe and a 7x1695 harness How can they not come back for free. They never finished the job ?
I agree , but that is just the way it is around here . About the only that would happen is to get the salesman involved by talking new machine purchase. Once on a 525b skidder with trans problems I had determined that two of the shift solenoids were only receiving 12 volts from PCM while all the rest were receiving 24 volts. I called dealership to ask if this was normal and was told that information would have to be delivered by the field tech. Well then, send him on. He determined the PCM was in fact faulty, had one delivered , he installed and programmed and still had the same issue and those two coils were still receiving 12 volts. After that we pulled the control valve and found sticking slugs related to the missing gears and with a little sanding freed them up and now had all the gears back. I was told I had to pay for the PCM even though it was installed in error. However, customers rave about the warranty service they receive from the dealership. Another thing with them, if you have a charge account never pay for anything at time of purchase because they will take your money and then charge to your account as well. You send a lot of time trying to straighten this out.
that tech would have been wearing that ECM as a reminder not to be a parts changer at my expense!!!! I would call corporate on that!! if they want paid for the job they need to send someone back out that is smart enough to do/finish the job...
It could be they didn't have the probe in quite enough to pick it up properly. Also sometimes ET gets a touch finicky and you have to try something a couple of times before it will take it, or at least that's been my experience. It takes a bit of patience and willingness to play with it occasionally. I had no trouble doing the same sensor calibration last year on a 345B after an ECM replacement. The instructions with the ECM instructed to do the calibration and the information was on SIS on how to do it.