I have a cat d3 and since I have had it it has run for a little while and then will shut off like running out of fuel. It has slowly gotten worse and now it will only run for about 10 minutes then start sputtering, if you stop moving and idle wide open it will give you about 2 or 3 more minutes so you can get it out of the way. I have changed fuel filter and transfer pump, any ideas appreciated.
I think you need to go further back in the system than the fuel filter. Check the fuel lines right from the tank, in fact check the tank itself. I'm not sure if there isn't a small screen buried somewhere in an obscure pipe fitting that could be the cause of your problem. You don't say what model or S/No prefix your machine is. Have you tried unscrewing the tank cap when the machine shuts off..? Do you hear air rush into the tank when that happens..?
I have not checked that but I will. The model is d3c 3plgp and serial number is 96x05003
That number is the engine, I need the tractor Serial Number. One thing I forgot. Under the tank is a small valve used for draining water and sediment from the tank that is supposed to be drained approx. every 8 hours of operation or daily. Have you tried opening that valve to see what comes out..?