I have a chance to buy a 1973 JD 350 Don't have a serial number. My question : is there a difference between a 350 and a 350 B ? The machine does not have any decals that are visible and the serial number tag is missing. The owner is asking 3900.00 for it, which i think is a reasonable price he states it has new rails. If i could, i would like your opinion on this machine Thanks in advance.
We have a 350B at the camp with 6 way. It can give a good boost to work out there. At 42 hp its a small machine but does some good work if expectations are kept reasonable. My serial tag is missing also but still has a 350B sticker.
Thanks for your response, I think $3900.00 is very cheap for a working dozer with "new rails", in your opinion does the rails look good to you ? I know it's difficult to tell from this picture, but i would like to hear what you think. Thanks, dillon
Iron@Dirt I hope this show a better view of the rail, maybe you can give be you're opinion with this picture. Thanks again. dillon
Cant see the rails very good but the way the track pads are kinked tells me the pins & bushings are tight.Tractor hasent been used much lately.
Looks like the pins are stuck, track isn't laying flat in a few spots. Track looks a little tight, should back off the tensioner for a little bit of sag between the upper roller and the sprocket/idler. Were the rails actually new or new to him? Ask present owner to see a receipt for the rails.
Yes he said he hasn't used the machine lately, do you think this will be a problem ? or will the tracks straighten out with some use.
That is a strange looking "working dozer". It looks just like a 350 track loader.
350B has a hydraulic reverser, 350 might be straight gear drive. If it has reverser you need to check that out good, could be a bad under taking if you find it slipping. On mine it kills the engine once locked up, but if you put it against a tree then select forward it will slip. If the engine sounds good price looks good.
Thank for the advice Iron@Dirt, do you believe the rails/tracks will straighten out where they are kinked? , the guy had new rails installed and they rusted up from non use and leaving the machine outdoors. Thanks, dillon
The rails pads and sprokets are worth the asking price. Ask him if you can try it out and see how it digs. then buy it...
ssticker said a mouth full there. I ment that in a good way.
Thanks again for the info. however, the machine is in Pennsylvania, and I'm in Missouri, the owner seems to be very forth coming w/ info. and says it is a very good dozer in all respects, mechanically it is very good, "he states". I believe I'm going to go ahead and buy it, the shipping will be approx. $1500.00 so i will have $5400.00 invested, but w/ a very good U.C. I checked around and this seems to be a good deal. I'm going to send payment out tomorrow, i have a shipper lined up, so I should have it sometime next week and will post pictures and be able to tell you more.
Find you a nice big puddle of water to play in. That'll loosen 'em up.
Hey i have a place on the farm with a hard bottom and shallow water, thanks will try it . I thought that pouring oil in the chain would be the way to go but i guess it would pick up a lot of dirt.
You'll be good to go then. And yep, oil is not used for that very reason you stated.
****, good deal, i have a small stream i can swim the dozer in. I guess I'm taking a risk buying sight unseen but sometimes you have got to take a chance, plus dozers are very high priced in my area, the same machine would sell for $7500.00 or more and that is with a questionable U.C. so i decided to go for it. It's like 'Forest Gump" would say life is like a box of chocolates you never know what s inside.
Um, didn't you decide against these tractors after you found out you have to remove the final drive to replace the steering clutch in your other threads?
Yes i did, but have been unable to locate anything with in a price range that would dictate the little use it will get, probably no more than a 100 to 150 hrs. a year. Then i came across this one from a private owner with very good rails and steers and runs good according to the owner. So I should never had said never, what else can i say other than it is priced right, but i see your point.
How is it running? I just got a 350b and the tracks slips after 45 mins or so running the machine what do you think the problem is ? I have changed the fluids and filters
Most likely reverser or possibly steering clutches, however, if both tracks stop, its not likely steering clutches on both sides are slipping at same time. The reverser has two stacks of disks one for forward and one for reverse, with no main clutch as such. The lever on left side of the seat operates a valve for forward and reverse. The left foot pedal simply stops the action of the reverser, however makes inching movement of tractor possible.
Ok my left driving lever dose not work good turning in forward it works better when in reverse. Is there a cooler or anything to cool off the transmission fluid? When it will not drive forward I can put it reverse and it will work fine.
The linkage adjustment on these are quite fussy. Look in your manual and follow the adjustment steps carefully and in the proper order. I bought a "poor moving" 455D a few years ago for near nothing, adjusted linkage to specs and had a great little loader. On a side note you can check to see if the main clutch slips by looking at the PTO if it has one. The PTO runs direct from the main clutch so if it stops with the machine while pushing the main clutch is slipping. If it continues to turn as normal the steering clutches are slipping.
It sounds your problem, or most of it could be corrected by steering clutch adjustment. You need a copy of the service manual for doing that, it a detailed procedure and needs to be done step by step. You can download them from John Deere web site for a fee of course, sometimes found E-bay, Binder Books has them, Dubuque Tractor (very reasonable). I don't think the B has a transmission oil cooler but, it does have engine oil circulated thru a dedicated part of the radiator. JD Crawlers . com web site is a place for everything you want to know about older JD crawlers.
Davenport Tractors web site has service manuals very reasonable.