Hello everyone, I have a D3 that has been sitting a little bit at my new current job and has been trying to get it going. We fired it up and it ran great but we could not get it to shut off. Any help? I did notice in inline fuse by the wiring that had broke but didn't think that would be the issue. Currently I need to add hydraulic fluid because it is very low and ended up trying to stall it out with the hydraulics. Thank you in advance
Have to post serial number for anyone to help. Did you try turning off the master switch mounted behind back door above batteries?
I will get it. Thought maybe would be a common Diagnostics. I did try turning the master off but it did not shut off.
If killing the master did nothing then it is a mechanical problem on the injection pump if it is set up like it should be. I am guessing that machine probably has a prefix of 7XL and can do some more checking tomorrow when I have my computer
Looks like 6sl01673
Here's the Electrical Schematic and the Fuel System Operation. Either the shutdown solenoid or timer could be favourites as the culprit.
Ok. Whats best way to test the shut down solenoid
When you turn off the key does the shutdown solenoid have power on wire 327 Pink.? Measure the power between that wire and machine frame ground.
Perfect thanks Nige. I just found the plug. It looks like it was where the wires come through and head up to the dash area. About 4 wires. They look old but looks like one is pink 327. Can i test it there or should i go tale console apart? Im thinking the solenoid may be under the dash area?
The shutdown solenoid should be mounted on the back side of the fuel injection pump AFAIK. I will check an update if not. You should be testing there to start with and if you have no power start working backwards towards the shutdown timer.
You should probably check the throttle linkage. Does it bottom out when pushed all the way forward? Lots of D3 engine throttle linkages were how you shut down the engine.
Not this one apparently John. See below.
The shutdown timer (18) is behind the dash.
I remember that the linkage could be adjusted to shut the engine down when the electrical shutdowns didn't work. I've seen multiple machines set up that way.
A good point and worth checking.