Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3G 2005

inyati13 ยท 2009-11-28 13:46

I just purchased a D3G, 2005 Dozer. I would like to know the principals of the Fuel/Water separator. There is one inlet in the top and a water drain valve in the bottom. Thus, it seems fuel enters and exits by the same opening. If anyone can, please explain how this works. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1John C.2009-11-28 23:14

    Water will settle in the bottom of the fuel tank and tend to stick to other water molecules. Most strainers are very fine so the fuel will pass through but the water for the most part hits the strainer and sticks. Other water molecules will hit that first one and it will grow until it is heavy enough to fall off the strainer and to the bottom of the cup. The old Cats used what was call 100 mesh Atlantic strainer. This is what you usually see in off road equipment. Other separators used what is call a coalescer. It is basically a synthetic material that makes all the water molecules assemble in the material and then pass through when they become droplets. The droplets then hit a strainer element and fall to the bottom. These types of systems are usually very large for handling lots of fuel. Think fueling ships and maybe aircraft. I think Racor makes systems that fit on highway trucks. These units are not fail safe or fool proof. That is why they still use filters. Filters are generally made from cellulose which is a fancy name for paper. When water hits the paper the cells it is made from absorb the water and swell up. When enough of the cells swell, it shuts off all the fuel flow through the filter. Hope this helps.

  2. #2inyati132009-11-29 09:42

    Thank you. I appreciate the detail. I have been around equipment most of my career and now that I have a D3G 2005 dozer, I am like a kid at Christmas time. Nice to have this happen when you are nearly 60 years old. As a person with a science background I am always curious on how things work. Thanks again, your answer is the type I appreciate.

  3. #3willd8r2009-11-30 01:45

    When a warning light comes on on the dash unscrew the bottom of the filter drain it then carry on or time for a new one