Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D4 7U Dozer – Aftermarket Water pump rebuild kit needed

iowahill · 2021-09-27 11:34

Looking for an after-market source for a water pump rebuild kit for our 1956 CAT D4 7U dozer. A previous post got back mentions of "many" but so far I haven't found one short of our Pape dealer which isn't exactly "budget friendly". A specific source would be much appreciated. We're on the West Coast but parts suppliers from just about anywhere in the Lower 48 should be able to ship to us. As always, thanks for any leads! -Tom

Replies8
  1. #1iowahill2021-09-28 15:49

    Our water pump is Cat p/n 7H1536 per the Cat parts manual for our machine's chassis serial number (7U38249)

  2. #2Nige2021-09-29 11:34

    Not much information available on the 7H-1536 Pump What Part Number did the dealer give you for a repair kit.?

  3. #3iowahill2021-09-29 19:35

    The part number for the pump assembly is straight from the original parts manual (c. 1956 and later for my machine serial number). My dealer in our neck of the woods is Holt, and my helpful parts guy said that their replacement parts catalogue listings don't go beyond 15 years. So I didn't get a replacement p/n for a kit, thus my search. AVParts shows kits but no reference to the individual part numbers such as bearings, seals etc. My search continues as I continually add water to the leaking cooling system! Thanks for the reply, -Tom

  4. #4Old Magnet2021-09-29 20:03

    Must you have a kit? I've always done mine by obtaining the individual parts. Not sure a kit is even available for the D315. Be aware that the loaders use a different water pump than standard tractors.

  5. #5Nige2021-09-30 06:02

    Here is a breakdown of the parts that form the 7H-1536. Sorry no illustration to relate them to because I had to pull it from another resource. Also interesting is that if there was a kit available it would usually be the last line on the attached list. The fact that there isn't a kit listed leads me to believe that nothing is available. Back in the time frame your D4 was built I suspect that repair kits were a thing of the future. I also think I can see why the 7H-1536 is so expensive because it apparently also includes the fan hub, fan spider, & drive belts. Like OM posted above I think that you could probably pick all the bearings, seals, etc from that list and get sufficient parts to rebuild your pump. I've highlighted the obvious ones that I could see. It may or may not be 100% complete.

  6. #6iowahill2021-09-30 09:44

    Many thanks for your efforts Nige! I have the full manual set from Jen Sales and the parts catalogue that has clear illustrations of the parts and placement, so with your help I can go ahead and search for the seals and bearings.. i believe the shaft, hub, and impeller are okay as there is just a slow leak at the front seal and shaft. -Tom

  7. #7Nige2021-09-30 10:12

    You may well be right, but if the cooling system has previously been run for extended periods with little or no anti-freeze in it you may find levels of corrosion higher than you bargained for.

  8. #8iowahill2021-09-30 10:23

    I'm okay for the next few weeks with just adding water as needed, but when the wet weather comes that will be the time to pull the pump and get it on the bench for teardown, inspection, and refurb. Thanks again!