Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4-c brakes

Mr. Lee ยท 2023-07-14 14:55

How do I adjust the steering brakes on a 1989 Cat D4-c?

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2023-07-14 15:25

    Post a Serial Number and I can download the procedure for adjustment from the service manual. You would probably be advised to do the adjustment of the steering clutches and the steering clutch control valves before you adjust the brakes.

  2. #2Mr. Lee2023-07-14 15:30

    1RJ007544 Thanks-we adjusted the rods & gained a little bit, but I'm still not happy!

  3. #3Nige2023-07-14 15:39

    Here you go. Adjust the steering clutch control linkage internally first then move on to the brakes.

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-07-14 19:36

    If they adjust like D3B and I think D3C brakes you can tighten the brake bands up, shorten the long linkage to the rear cams as short as possible and still get the pin in and then loosen the brake bands to get the proper pedal travel. This guarantee's the free play is at the brake bands. There should be more info in the archives. Bob/Ont explained it. Much easier than measuring everything but it kind of depends how much someone has played around with the brakes and steering clutches in the past. Are you sure your steering clutches are completely releasing? That would affect how effective the brakes are too.