I picked up this little munchkin a couple years ago, a Cat D3B. I found an 8’ Rockland Root Root Rake I can pick up for $1k. It seems pretty beastly. I’m wondering how effective this little 14,000 pound dozer would be with it? I like that it only has 6 tines vs the more common 8. Estimated weight is 1,000-1,100 lbs I have zero illusions that I can drop the tines and pull out stumps with this little guy, but would mostly use it for raking/piling brush and hopefully rip some shallow roots out of the ground, or just loosen up the dirt before power raking. Additionally, I could put it on the front of my JCB backhoe, which weighs about 19k pounds. Which machine would have more pushing power? I’m assuming the dozer even though it’s smaller? This root rake doesn’t have any hanging brackets, so I’ll need to fabricate something either way.
I have the same style rake on my 700J it works very well. I would mount it on the dozer. tires suck when you have uneven ground and holes.
Here is how mine is mounted. It works great.
That little dozer is not very stout. I had one at a sand plant I managed, and the D3B was just about useless for anything other than very light work. I am not sure it will even pick up the blade, once you attach that rake. I am sure you could accomplish more with a 75hp +or-, CTL, equipped with a root grapple/rake. I would not waste any time or money attaching that thing to that little dozer. Jeff
I would certainly accomplish a whole lot more with a big CTL and a root grapple, In fact, I could think of a BUNCH of different machines (that I don't have) which could accomplish more I am concerned that it would be too a bit too heavy for the little D3, might not waste my time with it.
That rake looks heavy. Not sure the 3 could handle it and effectively push much. Probably work OK for raking brush. Nice looking D3B BTW.
Yeah looks a bit too much for a D3, especially with no weight on the rear. I've used D3's with rakes but not that hefty.