Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4C, steers fine but steering pedals are sticking to floor??

sepulchral ยท 2018-12-03 10:33

I have to pull them back up by hand.. very annoying.. what can be done to fix this? What should i look for? Its a 1991.

Replies7
  1. #1AllDodge2018-12-03 12:24

    I would start by checking the break adjustment Have a serial number?

  2. #2sepulchral2018-12-03 14:11

    2CJ00367

  3. #3sepulchral2018-12-03 14:14

    How? Have a diagram or guide?

  4. #4AllDodge2018-12-03 14:26

    Not sure, but think your adjustment is where the arrow points to. My D3 is adjusted by turning all down until it stops, then loosen 2.5 turns if I remember correctly. Maybe some of the other guys can verify. Also see if all the return springs are in place, and all fittings are greased

  5. #5AllDodge2018-12-03 14:33

    Hey have a look here http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/CAT_D3C_D4C_D5_OIL_TYPE_STEERINGCLUTCH.pdf

  6. #6Welder Dave2018-12-04 01:40

    There are springs under the dash to pull the pedals up. If they aren't coming up but the steering seems to work OK, I think the 1st thing I'd do is lube the linkage and make sure it is not binding, rusty a or packed with dirt.

  7. #7Dave Neubert2018-12-04 17:13

    make sure your return springs are not broken and check the pivot points of the pedals they have needle bearings when they get dry they start binding,lubing mey help if not you will have to pull apart and replace bearings