Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4D

wbvs58 ยท 2014-12-10 06:28

Would anyone have the information on how much oil a direct drive D4D holds in its gearbox. My books only give the volume for the powershift model with the torque converter. My serial no. Is 82J3810. I am finding when the machine gets warm the forward/reverse gets a bit stiff, I checked the oil and it appears a bit milky so I thought the first port of call would be to change the transmission oil. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. The oil suggested in my book is CD/TO-2 SAE 30. Is this just a 30 grade engine oil? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Ken

Replies13
  1. #1Old Magnet2014-12-10 12:44

    My service manual shows SAE30 in everything but the Hydraulic system which is SAE10W Service being for 32 Deg. F - up. Direct Drive Machine. Crankcase.... 5 gallons Trans & Bevel Gear.....6 gal Flywheel clutch...2.25 gal Finals (each)....2.5 gal Hydraulic control...8.5 gal TO-2 is now TO-4 and meant for powershift machines. Considered to slippery for oil clutch machines.

  2. #2Mjrdude12014-12-10 12:52

    Ahhh back in the day of Cat trying to have one oil machines, I remember what a CF that was. lol

  3. #3wbvs582014-12-10 15:03

    Thanks for that Old Magnet. Do you think the oil could be contributing to the stiff shifting, it is very smooth and easy to shift initially and progressively gets a bit of drag on it especially going into forward and often have to let clutch out again to align gears before it goes in. I have just replaced the flywheel clutch brake shoe I see there is an interlock on the gearbox with the clutch could it be that the clutch leaver is not going all the way forward now and fully releasing the interlock? I have adjusted the brake according to the book. Anyhow we shall see, the oil needs tone changed anyhow. Mjrdude, what do you mean by the CF with the one oil being used? This is my first dozer and first Cat and I must say I am very impressed with the old girl, she seems like a very tough old machine, well designed. Thanks Ken

  4. #4Old Magnet2014-12-10 15:11

    I imagine his CF is the Cluster ***K version. One fits all is not the best lube approach but that's what it calls for. Try the new oil and see if it makes any difference. You could temporarily disconnect the clutch brake to see if it has any effect. Yes, basically they are a good machine.

  5. #5Mjrdude12014-12-10 15:26

    Yes, Old Magnet has it right. lol

  6. #6d9e2014-12-10 16:44

    hi wbvs58 we have a d4d 49j direct drive crawler with which we have used for farming an dozing since about 1976 I think . because of its heavy workload it has always had Caltex 85/140 gear oil in its gearbox / backend (it has dry clutches/ brakes) and borate 460 in it's final drives , and engine oil in main clutch, and apart from 2 reraces in it's 20000+ hrs life never had a serious issue. can't offhand remember quantities. in winter gets a bit sticky in the gear change until warmed up(1/2 hr) , then good but yours sounds different. so this oil may make it worse. (but run borate in it's f/drives if you can,recomended to us many years ago by our local independent cat mechanic, ) . has been a very reliable tractor to us , now does more dozing than farming though today, as the d6 c does the farming mostly now, but like all our machinery, has regular greasing / oil changes (eg eng oil/filter change 150 hrs). ps if borate oil gets water in it , must changed strait away.

  7. #7wbvs582014-12-11 01:44

    Well I started off today adjusting the clutch to gearbox interlock according to the book and that seems to have fixed my problems,not quite as slick as it was before I replaced the brake shoe but I guess now when I select forward or reverse the shaft is not rotating and not always the gears are perfectly lined up. This afternoon I went to town and picked up the oil and got that changed but have not had a chance to try that out yet as I just got finished before a thunderstorm hit, getting some good rain, I won't complain about that. I should imagine any benefit from the new oil will take a bit to be apparent as it displaces the old stuff along the shafts. It is abit of a challenge getting under these things there wasn't much clearance shimmying under the rippers to get to the drain bung and then dragging a reasonable size cheater bar to get on the end of the socket bar. I am sure the oil wasnt milky when I checked it a couple of weeks ago, maybe because this time I checked it hot and it was well mixed up also we have had some good storms over the last week so the contamination may be just recent, I think the machine has been pretty well maintained. I suspect water has got in through the gear selector does anyone have any other suggestions, I have a bucket over it at the moment. The recommended 20litres brought it to right on the mark so I'll keep a close eye on the level, there must have been affair bit of water in it as it was considerably over the mark. D9e, I am really enjoying my D4, it is such a breath of fresh compered to modern machines, like you get to see how things work and adjustments are mechanical. My excavator when things go belly up I have to wrestle with error codes and it is just going to be a matter of time before there is something I won't be able to deal with whereas with the D4 already I am confident enough that I will be able to handle what comes my way. What sort of farming do you do with your dozers? I would have thought a good 4wd tractor would be much more efficient, maybe you have pretty heavy black soils. Thanks all for your help, Ken

  8. #8wbvs582014-12-11 01:47

    Well I started off today adjusting the clutch to gearbox interlock according to the book and that seems to have fixed my problems,not quite as slick as it was before I replaced the brake shoe but I guess now when I select forward or reverse the shaft is not rotating and not always the gears are perfectly lined up. This afternoon I went to town and picked up the oil and got that changed but have not had a chance to try that out yet as I just got finished before a thunderstorm hit, getting some good rain, I won't complain about that. I should imagine any benefit from the new oil will take a bit to be apparent as it displaces the old stuff along the shafts. It is abit of a challenge getting under these things there wasn't much clearance shimmying under the rippers to get to the drain bung and then dragging a reasonable size cheater bar to get on the end of the socket bar. I am sure the oil wasnt milky when I checked it a couple of weeks ago, maybe because this time I checked it hot and it was well mixed up also we have had some good storms over the last week so the contamination may be just recent, I think the machine has been pretty well maintained. I suspect water has got in through the gear selector does anyone have any other suggestions, I have a bucket over it at the moment. The recommended 20litres brought it to right on the mark so I'll keep a close eye on the level, there must have been affair bit of water in it as it was considerably over the mark. D9e, I am really enjoying my D4, it is such a breath of fresh compered to modern machines, like you get to see how things work and adjustments are mechanical. My excavator when things go belly up I have to wrestle with error codes and it is just going to be a matter of time before there is something I won't be able to deal with whereas with the D4 already I am confident enough that I will be able to handle what comes my way. What sort of farming do you do with your dozers? I would have thought a good 4wd tractor would be much more efficient, maybe you have pretty heavy black soils. Thanks all for your help, Ken

  9. #9d9e2014-12-11 03:55

    we are on the Condamine r flood plains doing grain/sheep/cattle organic farming . the dirt here is heavy black soil and track life farming at around the 4 mph seems to be about 10-11000 hrs (turning bushes part way ) so tracks verses tyres is cheaper, and more economical on fuel per hp too , need to more than double the hp of equivilant tyre tractor to pull the same implement /acres/hr. d4d (blade not on for farming) pulling 27 ft gyral at 4 mph uses 3-4.5 gph dependant on load and the d6c ag (never set up for blade/dozing ) pulling 40 ft gyral at 4.5 mph uses around 30 litres/hr. , d46u pulls like little tiger (48 hp I think) 12 ft scarifier at 4 mph an runs on a smell of diesel, if you know what I mean. d9e (my moniker) on another farm near westmar, blade ploughing 4.3 mts , well that depends on how fast or time availiable you have but she'll drink the harder you push it , easy going , gear down , throttle backed off , 60-70 litres/hr get up her an watch the smoke fly , well 90-100 I reckon. out there 4wd tyres work out more econimal for normal farming then tracks (sandy soil), but the son in laws versatile and challenger aint an cant pull the blade plow.

  10. #10d9e2014-12-11 04:07

    wbvs58 I'm wondering if the first was not over full an foaming an making it look like water contamination ( still could be water though , especially if parked in the open, we do shed our tractors when not in use, cause a hot box will suck moisture condensation in, while cooling) anybody got any thoughts on this?

  11. #11wbvs582014-12-11 14:57

    Thats pretty interesting d9e, your not that far away from me but a big difference in soil type though, I am on sandy granite soil just east of Stanthorpe. I just do what I do for a hobby being retired, I run about 30 Angus females and raise a few bulls to sell at the Sunstate bull sale at Warwick in July each year. I have my machines to play with but also they do a lot of work on drainage, dams and a lot of rehabilitating land from the old tin mining. It is pretty gutless land but is surprising what it will do though just doesn't hang on in the dry. Your machines get a lot of work and I am surprised but then not surprised at how efficient they are compared to modern tractors. Shows what a good maintenance program does, your tracks would last a lot longer on that black soil than mine will on this granite. My D4 came from Toobeah, original owners, the tracks and sprocket not long replaced, grousers full height so will be interesting to see the wear rate though won't be getting the constant work like what yours get. With the hours you put on your machines do you have to rebuild the engines very often. I don't think mine has been rebuilt, I don't know the hours, electric metre that has quit but it still sounds nice and crisp doesn't use oil and burns very cleanly, it is the 75hp 3304 engine and seems economical to run and seems very tough. Ken

  12. #12d9e2014-12-11 17:31

    yes the hrs sound a lot but split over the yrs since 1948 when granpop bought the d46u an then crawlers became the main farm tractor an when one does approx. 1500 hrs a year between em all , well it just adds up, must be why I'm deaf. yeah they have lasted well but they've each had their blues as well as preventive overhauls. at that oil consumption its probly good an sound , our poor ol d4d used to have 3 core radiator once an in summer heat waves boiled all day farming in the red on them feelgood cat gauges until we put in a 5 core that poor motor worked its guts out for us an kept going until an oil filter o ring was put in twisted by a guest helper an blew out loseing oil pressure , which then later dropped a liner causing a rebuild. them hr meters all seem to die (eng an electric), but we replace them to keep the hrs for oil changes, etc. Toobeah huh , that's just below our other block at westmar. some people out there have totally missed this rain so far an at Meandarra just dust. had near 70 mm ourselves out there this week an bit over 60 here at home. why is the bom Condamine river/rainfall site reporting at the head an queen mary falls reporting 600-700mm last 2 days? had me going for a bit , thinking a wall o water was coming , shifted the stock off the river in case.

  13. #13wbvs582014-12-11 19:13

    We had 85mm last night and total for the last week or so has now hit 200mm. The soil is not saturated though and dams have a bit to go. I have done a lot of subsoil ploughing with a Keyline plough, it certainly lets the water in at the expense of flow to my dams. I think we are now set up for summer, even if we get some dry spells the moisture will be underneath. I get a bit cheesed of with forecasts for the Darling Downs and Granite Belt being lumped together and they give a storm warning when they are talking about a storm up near Kingaroy which is hundreds of km away. Ken