Dear gents, currently I have issue with engine premature failure in here, as we know the engine on this machine weren't supported with onboard system to monitor the engine or other comp condition. Ie, Engine Oil Level, Engine Oil Pressure, Engine Oil By Pass Filter, Engine Crankcase Pressure, Boost Pressure. Anyone have experience with the same issue on this machine? I have planned to put data logger on this machine, but in some area the engine have no port to install the logger as a mentioned above. Also I have plan to increase the capacity of oil pan, but seems this option is not available in Cat at this moment. the Oil analysis review shown the Cu are increase significantly aligned with the oil hours, even the engine not in breaking period. Thanks
You would have to supply more information as to what model D8 it is... D8's were made from the 1940's onwards..
I'm not sure why you would ever need to increase the capacity of the oil pan unless you're running extended oil change intervals. Are you going over 500 hours?
it its Cat D8R with 3406 Engine with Prefix 9EM
we're running oil change interval every 250Hrs. The issue is because the problem only on Dozer, which for our genset that using the same engine model have no issue with premature failure. mostly the issue because engine produce particle and fuel dilution. Last 3 year we have replaced about 30 engine due to premature failure, with avrg life achieved only 4,600 Hrs. not sure if you have the same issue on this machine.
Yair . . . karsyad I don't know the size of your fleet but to replace 30 (thirty, you did say thirty?) 3406 engines in a one year period with less than 5000 hours average seems almost unimaginable. In my experience these were one of the better engines and I believe there must be an underlying problem with the application or maintenance. I am no expert but there are those on here who are and if you could post further details of the "premature failures" they may chime in with opinions. With rising copper one would suspect rod, mains, or perhaps cam bearing issues . . . what did the PPM get to? Fuel dilution could be a contributing factor but bloody hell thirty engines. I am really curious so more information please. Cheers,
I'm guessing fuel quality issues. One suggestion would be to try installing a centrifuge system for cleaning the oil, CAT marine could probably help in that respect. Filter your fuel before it goes into the machine, and get the fuel analyzed for high sulfur, cetane level and any other parameters that might be out of line. Genset engines don't see the same load cycles as a machine engine so all things being equal it's not unusual to see two or three times the hours on a generator engine as one in a truck or piece of equipment.
Yair . . . On reflection, I believe whatever entity owns these engines should be engaging the services of a third party specialist to get this issue sorted . . . I can see all sorts of scenarios developing between the engine manufacturer, the dealer, the maintenance contractor and the fuel supplier. lantraxco's suggestions would be an obvious start but all things considered this is way beyond the scope of an anonymous internet forum . . . in my opinion. Cheers
I agree this should be investigated I have seen engine failures caused by simple odd things 1 thing I have seen was the oil in barrels mismarked by supplier
High sulphur?
You can't compare the same model of engine in a tractor and a genset because they are totally different applications, the genset application being far easier than the tractor. As others have asked, what is the most common failure mode (or modes) and do you have an engine oil sampling programme..?