Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat d4d 78a1594 vee belt is it 8m1715 as per the copies CAT_D4D_78A.pdf ??? photo included

CaptainB · 2024-10-11 12:47

Hi, So the stupid fan belt on my 1963 dozer was so old and brittle it finally snapped and it looks totally rekt. So I need to get it replaced, I found this info: (bottom right of page 22 cat_d4d_78a.pdf) 8m1715 vee belt, is this the correct part number? Could I get an aftermarket belt or is this not recommended generally? I have had so many issues with my toyota and aftermarket parts but maybe my cat d4d is not like this, apparently I could find a generic equivalent belt for a tractor o generator here locally, the local caterpillar dealer says I got to wait 8 days and its quoting me like 90 dollars (in mxn 1800 pesos) to be paid in advance, Im finding prics for this vbelt around 40 bucks if I order from ebay, what do you guys think? The dozer has been working great so far except for a couple of adjusments to the brakes and the tracks, thanks

Replies13
  1. #1Joe H2024-10-11 12:58

    V belt, not serpentine ? Amazon.com : link belt These things are great, your local harbor freight has them too if you want it today. https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=link belt No disassembly, no pulling the hydraulic pump, nada. Just thread it through and you're good for another 20 years. Joe H

  2. #2Nige2024-10-11 13:38

    Per the tractor Serial Number - Yes. That is provided everything is still standard. You probably could get aftermarket, because it's a pretty weird size, 69" long x 0.69" width. Not common at all. The OEM belt type is actually a cog belt.

  3. #3.RC.2024-10-11 16:44

    The gates equivalent of a 8M1715 is supposedly a TR24664

  4. #4CaptainB2024-10-12 20:23

    Thanks! I will try to find the gates with that part number in a store here in Mexico

  5. #5CaptainB2024-10-12 20:24

    thanks!

  6. #6CaptainB2024-11-05 15:44

    So I got the v belt replacement from eBay it looks to be the same size as the old belt but I can’t find which pulley you have to move to fit the belt then tension it (like my trucks serpentine belt) do I have to take off the alternator to make the belt fit then tighten it by moving the alternator or something ? Here are some photos What I did was first of all run the belt around the fan position it on the belt pulley then the bottom pulley is very big so put it around the bottom pulley and then there seems to be not enough belt to run it through the alternator pulley so I thought the belt was shorter / wrong part, I got home and measured it against the old belt they seem to be the same size, any advice? Thanks José

  7. #7.RC.2024-11-05 19:31

    You did loosen the alternator/generator and pushed it towards the engine block? because in the photo you have not

  8. #8CaptainB2024-11-05 22:19

    No I didn’t do that I thought about doing it because of the sort of arch curved bracket where the alternator is bolted to I removed that one bolt but I couldn’t move it I will losen the other bolt there must be another at the bottom thanks

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-11-05 23:21

    It's common to have to loosen all the bolts on the alternator/generator. Have you never changed a fan belt before? What do think the slotted hole on the bracket is for??

  10. #10CaptainB2024-11-06 12:26

    Hahaha no never on a tractor / dozer only on my trucks I was looking for some kind of fancy tensioner pulley you can sort of displace to the right to fit the belt but yeah the alternator made the most sense, I’ll try to do this tomorrow thanks frens

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-11-06 15:12

    On a 60 year old machine? Serpentine belts didn't become common for at least 15 years later.

  12. #12CaptainB2024-11-08 14:30

    So I moved the alternator even removed the alternator and the belt is too tight, even if after a lot of effort it in fact did fit it would be too tight i dont think this would be good for the pulleys, I will try with a bigger belt next size up and I will report back, you think its possible the alternator pulley (which btw is unplugged its just there to function as a pulley for the belt) is aftermarket maybe replaced with a bigger one when the old belt started to wear out an losen up? or are these belts supposed to be a pain to install (the pulley wouldnt move all the way to the side because the alternator is too big)

  13. #13Welder Dave2024-11-08 15:36

    Just get a proper length belt. You're way over thinking it.