Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4H transmission oil in engine oil

MilExc ยท 2026-01-23 16:42

I have an older D4H that I'm pretty sure I'm getting transmission oil into the engine oil. My engine oil rises and transmission oil slowly drops. Is it possible to be getting oil into the rear of the engine through the torque converter? I saw another thread where someone had a similar problem but thought it was hydraulic oil. I dont see anyway this could be hydraulic oil and mine isn't acting like it is. Any thoughts? Serial #9GJ01630

Replies3
  1. #1nicky 68a2026-01-26 14:27

    Could be transferring through the seal on the shaft in the trans/hyd pump

  2. #2MilExc2026-01-26 20:04

    I believe that if the hydraulic pump was leaking into the torque converter than the hydraulic oil would be mixing with transmission oil as the torque converter has transmission oil pumped through it if I'm not mistaken.

  3. #3Dave Neubert2026-01-28 09:48

    Could be rear seal also multiplied by high oil level in flywheel hosing