Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Searching for the serial number information on my dozer

Dusty$1965 · 2026-01-20 11:41

I’m looking at buying a cat dozer serial number 37A2113 and there is some questions as to if it’s a D5 or a D6 and the year

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2026-01-20 12:40

    That Serial Number prefix is shown as a D6B. The start of production for the model is shown as 1959 so I would imagine your machine could be that same year or maybe a year later.

  2. #2Dusty$19652026-01-20 12:42

    Ok thank you so much for the information! You would think a company as big as Cat would have better information on these machines.

  3. #3Nige2026-01-20 13:04

    Information in respect of anything pre-1970 (sometimes even later) is generally hard to come by in the online systems. How exactly were you trying to access information regarding the tractor before.? TBH there are not may companies around who would carry information on a 65 year-old machine. A recommendation if you do decide to purchase the tractor. Buy Parts and Service manuals, because certainly if you go to a dealer looking for parts without having the Part Numbers in your hand they will most likely not be able to help you.

  4. #4Dusty$19652026-01-20 13:12

    I had just been doing a general online search of the serial number. Yes I 100% agree I will be perching the repair manual and parts manual fore sure. I also have a Cat traxcavator 80H1347 and have had a hard time getting info on it too . I need some engine parts for it and there seems to be a lot of confusion on what engine it has and I haven’t been able to find the engine serial number

  5. #5Nige2026-01-20 14:22

    For a machine of that generation equipped with an engine from the D300 family (predecessor to the 3300-Series) the engine Serial Number is always the same as the machine provided that the engine is the one originally installed on the machine when it was built. Separate engine Serial Numbers only arrived when the 3300-Series machine engines came on the scene some time later. In regard to your 941 traxcavator it is an early model equipped with a D330C (4-3/4" bore) engine. The appropriate Parts Manual for it is Cat Publication reference UE070113-00 that covers all 80H-prefix machines with Serial Numbers from the first machine built up to 80H3039. From Machine Serial Number 80H3040 the model changed to a 941B but it was still fitted with the D330C engine. The 3304 engine was not introduced in the 941B until machine Serial Number 80H3884. All the above information is correct AFAIK.

  6. #6Old Magnet2026-01-20 14:24

    37A2113 is a narrow gauge (60") 1966 model D6B with D333 engine (4-1/2" bore) 80H1347 is a 1969 model 941 Traxcavator with D330C engine (4-3/4" bore) Back in that era engine numbers and vehicle numbers are the same.

  7. #7Nige2026-01-20 18:31

    On the subject of manuals for the 941, for a service manual search for Cat Publication reference REG00527. Here's a link to one on eBay, there may be more like it. CAT CATERPILLAR 941 941B TRACK LOADER SERVICE SHOP REPAIR MANUAL BOOK | eBay FOR SALE IS A CATERPILLAR SERVICE MANUAL FOR USE WITH MACHINES WITH SERIAL NUMBER RANGE. www.ebay.com

  8. #8Nige2026-01-21 15:42

    If you can't find a used copy anywhere new ones are still available from Cat Publications. Click this LINK , put UE070113 in the box then click the search button. The same illustration that I posted above should appear on your screen. I would recommend buyinf a pdf copy, then you can print it out as may times as you want.

  9. #9LCA0782026-01-25 22:08

    First off: Dusty, welcome to the forum. It's an amazing amount of wealth and all you have to do is ask nicely and post a serial number. If the price for a full service manual is too steep right now, at least get the parts manual to help find accurate part numbers. These machines aren't that complicated and unless you're trying to tear down the engine, tranny, final drive, etc., it's fairly obvious of what's needed. But if you're doing more than replacing basic pieces/parts, then yes, splurge on the full service manual. I have a 941(B?) 80H with the 78P 3304 motor. I guess mine was right after engine serial numbers became independent. I have the full service manual as a piece of mind. And for free you can post pics here with symptoms of what's happening and you'll get more info than you can believe. Hope your Traxcavator is a solid runner.

  10. #10B.C.2026-01-26 01:41

    Hey Dusty, This is Barry in Dorchester County MD., and it looks like the other guys have already given you all the information you need about parts books, service books and serial numbers. I'll just share my story with you. I purchased a used 1976' D5-LGP dozer from Milam's Equipment down near Danville, VA. about 30 years ago, my local CAT dealer (Alban CAT, now Carter CAT) was great. They ran my serial number and gave me my machine's history, even the fact that my 1976' dozer was MADE IN JAPAN. I purchased all of her service/parts books from CAT (chassis, engine, blade, hydraulic system, etc.) and yes, they were expensive, about $400.00 30 years ago, but well worth it. An even older machine like yours could definitely be hard to get books for, check out eBay. There are several sellers that specialize in older parts/service manuals and CAT is a huge marketplace, so there are also several aftermarket companies for parts. I had real good luck with 'HeavQuip' out of Atlanta for parts and my local CAT dealer too. Plus, there are several parts yards out there too. A friend of mine just purchased a 1976' International excavator and we found manuals on eBay. Sorry for the 'short story' and good luck!! B.C. in Maryland