Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5 Blade Group

D5Dan · 2023-06-01 16:13

I have a Cat D5 (no letter) Machine Serial #84H493 Happy to report I’ve finally pulled the blade lift cylinders and got them down at our local hydraulic guy getting new seals installed (long over due). I’m also seeing some items I can address while I’m in reworking the leaking seals. Checking the top (back) right corner of my blade, tag is gone. With some sanding/wire wheel work I “think” I’m see a stamping of 92H354 (with the 354 look “trailing” or added). Blade is 9’6” wide by 3’ tall straight blade with a tilt cylinder on the left-hand side. I believe the manual I need is?: CAT Caterpillar 5A 5S Bulldozer Parts Book Manual 90/91/92/93H1 12/73 UE070055 Just curious if I’m going after the correct manual? And/or could this blade be the correct one for my machine? (aside from repairs/hacks, it looks the part) Couple follow-up numbers I have found: On the lift blade cylinder head I see stamping 5J8161. Measurements lead me to believe the cylinder mount bearing/bushing is 4J6374 Then each saddle mount area also had bearing halves – with Cat stamping #4J6326 (and are VERY well worn!!) I’d like to have Cat part numbers for the four hoses that come off the connector block under the hood/on top of motor and go to each lift cylinder. I got one hose off machine today and will take to hydraulic guy tomorrow…but without the manual I feel like I'm flying blind. I did find this thread helpful (so thank you all!): D6C Dozer Blade Lift Cylinders On my D6C 10K 6516 tractor that I got recently, I didn't get a parts book with the machine & need to re-chrome the rods (badly scored) & repack the both blade lift cylinders & was told by someone that there may be some identification on the outside of barrel which will identify it. I found a... HeavyEquipmentForums

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2023-06-01 17:04

    You are correct. That is part of the 5J-8174 blade lift Cylinder Gp. The 4J-6374 Bush is also part of that same cylinder group. 4J-6326 is part of the 5J-9210 Cylinder Bracket gp. Do you mean these hoses.?

  2. #2D5Dan2023-06-01 21:28

    Thanks Nige! I pulled the trigger on the Ebay manual, should be here June 8th (or earlier!). Those hoses are exactly what I want to see, plus I see a bunch of o-rings I can swap out...also curious about the yokes and how they mount/wear. Is there a "should do" while I'm at this point with the yokes?? Certainly one "ugly" (of many) is the inside of the yokes got "machined" from the cylinder edges, I suspect since the bushings/bearings where run hammered for so long...plus the the over-all side-to-side play of the blade itself (aka age!) Well at this point I'll replace the bushings and bearings that I have part numbers for to at least get that piece of the puzzle tight(er). But the "up/down" part I think my only play (at this point) is to flip the yoke 180 degrees, then reinstall the cylinders?? Or maybe I'm missing a wear piece that will be clear when I see the diagram(s)...

  3. #3Old Magnet2023-06-02 12:27

    Your after the right manual. For the 84H by my manual the blade group is 6J632, The lift cylinder group is 5J8176 of which there are two types. The line group is a 5J7817

  4. #4D5Dan2023-06-02 21:30

    Thank you Old Magnet(!) - now THAT Lines Group looks like what I have!! Nige I didn't know how to break it to you- I just couldn't get your lines group diagram to match-up with what I'm looking at ; )...either way, I appreciate the pointers/direction! Thanks for confirming I've ordered the correct manual...I'm looking forward to seeing it next week.

  5. #5Nige2023-06-02 21:59

    It was only one of 5 (I think) options for blade lift cylinder lines, hence my question "do you mean these hoses.?" Maybe I should have explained there were other illustrations. My bad.

  6. #6D5Dan2023-06-06 10:30

    Blade book arrived yesterday (3 days early!!)...new appreciation for the amount of information and options available not only for each blade, but the hoses/lines, arms, etc...good stuff. Also cleared up why have a couple of "random brackets" on the back of my blade (lead me to think something had been cut out)...but nope, brackets are there in case a cable set-up was in use!! Makes much more sense why they're there!! Fun/funny part is I've now clued in that I have the 153 Hydraulic Control service manual, but I don't have the parts books(!), which left me wondering why I couldn't find a part number for the missing strainer (under the fill cap)...so last night I pulled the trigger on Ebay for the 153 parts book (couldn't resist at $2.58, cheaper than a bad cup of coffee!?!). Seller also had several cat book's, so for $20 bucks (incl shipping) I got 4 cat manuals (fingers crossed they are as good as they look). Got a bunch of stuff thru the parts washer last night, hopefully in next couple days rams will be back from rebuild, and hopefully I'll get down to my local dealer to pickup some bearings/bushings/filters/oil to get stuff ready for reassembly. Should add I got my Cat SIS login "working" but feel I might need my dealer to give "permission"...each time I try to view parts diagram I get an access denied b/o permissions (minor hiccup).

  7. #7D5Dan2023-06-23 10:11

    Took a bit longer than expected (what’s new!?!)… Rams have been rebuild/resealed, also removed/installed new bearings on the rams, and have the new bearing-halfs that go around those bearings… When remounting these rams back on, should I (can I) flip the mounting yokes 180° to have a “new” flat surface for the rams to ride on?? Everything looks symmetrical that I could do it, but (likely) might be missing something

  8. #856wrench2023-06-23 11:18

    What i usually do is add a machinery washer over the trunnion stub on the lower side of the ram to take up the play and also to provide a sacrificial wear surface that can be replaced when needed. Yes, you can rotate the yoke but it will still be sloppy unless you add a machinery washer to take up some clearance if it’s excessively worn

  9. #9D5Dan2023-06-23 13:23

    Thanks 56! Brilliant plan with the machinery washer(s)… I’m looking at this through a new lens now! The machinery washer(s) need to fit tight(ish) around the trunnion stub, right? (Aka remove bearing)

  10. #10D5Dan2023-06-23 19:08

    I fit the right side ram on today to see how things would be…new bearings definitively solved my side-to-side issues - now I’m seeing the up/down slop you speak of, even with yoke rolled over…don’t need it perfect, but I’d like to get it a bit tighter… …rain coming in for the next 6-7 days, so I can regroup on this…

  11. #1156wrench2023-06-24 11:14

    I just slide the washer over the trunnion. It will be a little loose when it gets past the replaceable/pressed on bearing but no big deal. Its well greased. If you are really picky, you could pull the bearing and use one that fits tighter

  12. #12D5Dan2023-06-24 18:35

    Perfect! I know I have ZERO interest in fooling with those “interference” fit bearings again- on the other hand, who doesn’t like tight tolerances!?! I looked today at our local places; largest ID machinery washer was 1.5”…Monday I’ll make a few calls to see if anyone (an hour out) sells ones with 2 3/8” (or 2.5”) ID…I can see how a couple of those will help the situation… Up next I know when I hook the rams back on to blade, I remember decent slope there too…but I also found 5-6 spacers per pair of bolts, so hoping I can get some improvement there too Thanks for the suggestions!