I have a D8L cat dozer that has transmission oil or either Hydraulic oil in the engine oil. Can someone help me figure out how it's happening
Which level (transmission or hydraulic) is going down.? That will tell you which system is leaking. What S/N do you have.? 53Y-something.?
I believe it is transmission. The serial number is 53Y01296
Is the transmission pump driven by the engine or the torque convertor
The transmission pump is driven off the top left side of the transmission. The torque converter is mounted to the engine. There is a drive shaft from the torque converter to the transmission. The emplement pump is mounted on the top right corner of the torque converter.
Based on that description even if the implement pump was leaking into the converter it would be scavenged back to the transmission case and not to the engine oil pan.. Are you sure that the rise in engine oil level is caused by oil from another system.? Have you set all the levels bang on the sight glass/dipstick marks and run the machine for a few hours.? Is it possible that the engine oil level is increasing as a result of a fuel leak inside the engine.?
It is either hydraulic fluid or transmission fluid. I have not pulled a oil sample to confirm what it is yet. There is no diesel fuel or coolant in the engine oil.
I'm not sure you would get any conclusive info from an oil sample analysis. It would depend very much on what oils you are using in the different comparments. As I said above I would suggest to check the levels of all 3 systems then run the machine for a few hours and re-measure the levels. It would probably tell you a lot. How fast, and by how much, is the engine oil level rising.?
I have seen where the torque convertor scavenge pump was not working properly and a weak rear engine seal would allow the oil in. you can stall the convertor then shut it down and drain the convertor and see how much oil you get out should not be more than a few gallons