Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5H

Falcon1115 · 2021-12-30 20:48

Just took ownership of a 1986 Cat D5H XL. Serial number 8RC. I can’t seem to find much information on the internet about this machine let alone a operator or service/parts manual. Even parts.cat.com doesn’t seem to work for this machine. Too old maybe? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this machine or any suggestions as to where to look for a manual and or parts diagram. I went to grease it and low and behold NO grease fittings apparently!?!

Replies16
  1. #1James Sorochan2021-12-30 21:04

    Post the serial no. and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

  2. #2Falcon11152021-12-30 21:17

    Thanks

  3. #3Nige2021-12-31 05:15

    You have to be a bit careful looking for manuals for this machine. There is a Serial Number break in the 8RC range and depending on whether your Serial Number is above or below 4000 the manuals will be different. At least the Parts and O&M manuals will be. You can get an Operation & Maintenance Manual to download in pdf format from Cat Publications. Cost is $49. The same O&M Manual is available on CD ($49) or in paper format ($57) + S&H charges from the same source. The complete Service Manual that is common for all 8RC machines is Cat Publication SENR3250. The new price is $925 in paper or $625 in CD format. Here's one on eBay. First thing you should ask the seller - "Is it complete.?" In other words is each of the 20+ separate documents listed on the Index page (there may actually be 2 pages of Index) in the photo below actually there..? https://www.ebay.com/itm/3926186981...55-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050 You don't mention a Parts Manual. Be aware that it is NOT included in either of the two manuals referred above.

  4. #4John Shipp2021-12-31 05:37

    Parts book very useful to have.

  5. #5Falcon11152021-12-31 06:18

    Thank you and yes my mistake I would need a parts manual also. I like to service all the equipment myself. Complete serial number is 8rc00614. Machine has over 13000 hrs and seems like it was taken care of. This is my first machine that is that old considering the model year. While i have a lot of experience with excavators, I do not have much experience with dozers and servicing them. Very excited to learn though.

  6. #6Nige2021-12-31 06:44

    With that Serial Number your O&M Manual is SEBU6014. If you want to buy a copy go to https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest". Type SEBU6014 in the box and click search. The illustration below should appear. You can order whichever of the options you want although a pdf download would be available immediately.

  7. #7Nige2021-12-31 06:52

    For a Parts Manual the publication reference is SEBP1557. Follow the same instructions as above, your search should show this ...............

  8. #8D5Dan2021-12-31 08:41

    Congrats on the machine! Any pictures of the “old” beast??

  9. #9nicky 68a2021-12-31 10:53

    I had a 1DD series 2 D5H LGP with PAT blade and 5 tyne ripper. Put 13500 hours on it. Blew a tranny. Blew a tranny cooler. Blew a starter motor. Blew a tranny pump. Blew a couple of hoses. Blew a final drive lip seal. I don’t recall any other problems. That’s not bad in 13000 hours and 24 years of ownership. There was nothing that it broke including the tranny,that it couldn’t finish the shift with first.(Tranny was just a scheduled overhaul at 10000hrs). I sold it and over half of what I’d paid for it and it was the most profitable tractor I’ve ever owned. I see people often ask what are the common problems,or what to look out for etc,well,I can’t answer that in the case of the D5H,it was a fantastic little tractor allways punching above its weight. I wish you well with it.

  10. #10Falcon11152021-12-31 20:59

    There she is. Quite a beauty i think! 13,500 hrs and feels strong. All fluids were good except right side final drive oil being low. I hope to restore it completely one day.

  11. #11nicky 68a2022-01-01 03:45

    I like your D5! Nice purchase.Looks good

  12. #12Mbar2022-01-02 11:14

    I just did a large amount of work on a 8rc. Nige helped me with some of the in-depth sis information but everything you will need for that machine will be in cat sis. Hope you don’t have the problems my customer had.

  13. #13361brock2022-01-02 13:29

    I have a 1988 D5h LGP and it didn't have any grease fittings either. I only have 5,000 hrs and only things I ever changed was the tracks, idlers, sprockets, blade coupling, rebuilt all hydraulic cylinders & cutting edges. Been a good machine. 1DD 514 ser #

  14. #14Falcon11152022-01-06 18:45

    Well i have to ask... what kinda issues did that tractor have?

  15. #15Falcon11152022-01-06 18:47

    That’s great to hear. I was happy it starts so easily being its so cold here. Not sure, doesn’t appear that any pins have been replaced recently on this one so for 13500 hrs im impressed how they hold up considering the lack of grease.

  16. #16Mbar2022-01-07 05:59

    Falcon, the machine broke a hard line that went from the priority valve to the steering Vale via through the trans case. Had to remove transmission. Trans filter housing and steering valve. Also had to install new transmission pump due to poor troubleshooting by the previous person