Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d5h winch

WBC ยท 2013-12-18 14:14

Does anyone know the exact weight of a winch that fits on a 1995 cat d5h model?

Replies12
  1. #1WBC2013-12-19 10:10

    I have called around places including cat dealership and can't come up with weight. I was just curious because I'm wanting to build a counter-weight and mount ony tractor for more weight when grubbing trees. I have a friend that added a winch to his Deere and the extra weight back there makes a lot of difference. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2Nige2013-12-19 10:48

    A fully equipped #56 winch arrangement (including fairlead, rollers, etc.) for a D5H will weigh approximately 1600 pounds. The factory counterweight that is recommended for better tractor balance if a winch is not fitted comprises 2000 pounds of steel installed in between the drawbar and the rear of the tractor frame. If you give me a Serial Number of your tractor I may be even able to come up with some drawings of what the counterweight looks like.

  3. #3WBC2013-12-19 12:53

    Serial# 8RC04098. Thanks for the help

  4. #4Nige2013-12-19 13:58

    It appears that the counterweight for the D5 is a Custom Shop attachment and I don't have access to that system. However here is an illustration from a D6 to show you how the design works. The counterweight is in multiple blocks installed one on top of the other and strapped to the drawbar. If you're going to build something then I'd start off at maybe 1000 pounds and see where that gets you, going heavier if you find it to be necessary.

  5. #5WBC2013-12-19 14:45

    Thanks a bunch. This design is is almost exactly what I had in mind of building. The metal I have is pieces that are 2" thick, 5" wide, and however long I want it. Every inch weighs almost 2.5 pds

  6. #6Nige2013-12-19 15:23

    Don't forget to manufacture and fit upper support brackets (#16 in the drawing) and the links (#4). The bolts holding the drawbar to the frame shown at the bottom RH corner of the drawing will not be enough on their own to hold up with the extra weight of 1000+ pounds of ballast on top of the drawbar.

  7. #7WBC2014-01-04 20:25

    I got to looking on the side of my dozer and there is a "shipping" sticker. It prints "D5H-25216 lb without ripper" and "28145 lb with ripper". Does a ripper weigh that much more? I didn't think it would weigh much more than a winch.

  8. #8WBC2014-01-15 19:29

    Getting ready to start fabricating counterweight. The scrap steel we have laying around is only 29" long. So I will have to go 19" tall in order to get the design I want and to get 2000 lb. Do you guys think that a tranny needs space for "air" to stay cool? This weight is gonna stick up pretty far and we had planning on putting it just 1-2" from the back of the tranny. I got to thinking about this because all the counterweights I seen and the one Nige showed me werent very tall.

  9. #9Nige2014-01-16 06:48

    Definitely leave some space between the front of the counterweight and the rear of the transmission so that it can "breathe" otherwise you could run the risk of transmission overheating.

  10. #10WBC2014-01-16 15:15

    How much space would you suggest?

  11. #11Nige2014-01-16 15:45

    3" maybe, but's that just a guess. It's about the same distance that the transmission guard is from the transmission on larger machines.

  12. #12WBC2014-01-18 12:17

    My buddy that is fabricating it for me said that he's scrape pieces are shorter in length than we thought so were going to have to go taller with the design "19 inches". I told him that the designs you showed me were a lot shorter than 19". I'll tell him to stay away from transmission 3" and hopefully it will be ok. Were going to bolt everything so if there is problems, we can take off and re-design