Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

In the market for an upgrade D65PX-15, D6R or Derre 850j??????????

B.K.Jackson ยท 2013-12-18 22:33

Hey guys, It's been awhile since I have posted and I'm currently working with my local dealers on upgrading my dozer. Currently I am looking at a K D65PX-15EO, a D6R and an 850J.........all LGP. Basically I am needing more production than I am getting from my D6M. What are your thoughts?

Replies4
  1. #1Construct'O2013-12-18 23:14

    If i was looking at production in moving dirt then i would be looking at the XW model machine then the LGP machine.Unless it is a swamp.Undercarriage will last longer.In hard dry conditions like we are in now the semi-u dozer blade will go in the ground easier then the LGP machine.The wider the blade the less penatration.Good luck

  2. #2B.K.Jackson2013-12-19 06:58

    We do quite a bit of wet work annually which as why I am looking at the LGP. An XW machine is a viable option but it seems everyone else thinks the same way. XW machines move fast. I have run all three manufactures and honestly I don't see much difference in operation. All of my maintenance experience is with Cat equipment so I am familiar with Cat pricing for service and maintenance. How does Deere and Komatsu compare?

  3. #3Construct'O2013-12-19 10:00

    Seeing your location wet conditions is a hit and miss thing.This year there has been more of a need for a ripper equiped machine then in the past.Spring was wet,but then changed overnight to dry.The XW machine be it what brand is in demand,so prices and number available is a problem. LGP machines prices have always been lower except when new.There's nothing wrong with a XL machine i have both and side by-side use they compliment each other at times.Wet is never for ever. Tree cleaning and rocks don't like wide tracks.Dry ground don't like wide tracks.Thus the intermidate machines.XL machine with good grouser height is good in mud.If you run a machine with short grouser in muddy condition then you won't like it,but as soon as the wet season is over then your think they are great. After getting the XW machine only thing i like better then the XL machine is the blade width ,you have a foot wider blade,but with only a slight edge to the capacity side. Run a LGP machine in hard ground conditons and a semi u blade on either a XW or Xl machine and tell me the difference.The LGP blade is basicly a old straight blade that has been a joke for years in clay material.Can't cut or make the dirt roll.Just sticks to the blade then the front of the dozer comes up and you can't get it to cut. I do farm work terrace,waterways,clear and ponds along with anything else that comes along.I have one LGP machine it is only a D3G and don't really like it as much as i thought,but is small and used mostly for finish work and moving loose dirt around.Like said LGP would be my least favorite machine compared to the others for my situration,your may vary.If money is an issue the yes you can buy and find LGP machine by the dozen cheap compared to the XW and XL machines.Good luck

  4. #4B.K.Jackson2013-12-19 11:19

    Thanks for the info Construct'O. Sounds like we do alot of the same type of work. Most of the wet work is in river bottoms and we clean alot of ponds etc. I have an XL machine now which works well except in the wet conditions and the narrower blade. I'm definitely going with an XW or LGP machine and going from the 150HP class to a 200HP class to get a little more production. My main question is what is everyone opinions regarding the machines I listed. Those are the three I am looking at. Right now what's driving the market on dozers, which makes it tough on us contractors, every farmer in the country is buying machines which has driven the price up and availability down. Try to find an 850C right now, its virtually impossible in an XW or LGP. There are several R's in my Cat dealership pool but the sticker shock is about to kill me. That is another reason I am looking at Komatsu and Deere.