Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5m won’t move warnings on dash

mobile-tech · 2025-09-18 16:00

Have a d5 flashings the warning and sounding buzzer starts won’t move active fault 030 -248.02 help with code definition would be much appreciated 5ES0087 serial Thanks

Replies30
  1. #1Nige2025-09-18 16:48

    Here's the troubleshooting procedure. There is a Datalink communication failure.

  2. #2mobile-tech2025-09-19 14:57

    Ran threw that and inspected harness found some cuts nothing threw - repaired Short to ground meter reads infinite Short to b+ meter reads infinitie Short in harness monitor connector to Ecm connector pins 5 and 14 measures both at 000.5 ohms Triple checked work- lols like monitor fails

  3. #3Nige2025-09-19 15:05

    Try checking the wires with a 5A fused test light. Often a multimeter will show continuity but it’s only putting 25 milliamps or so through the wire. Put a decent current through it and see how it performs.

  4. #4mobile-tech2025-09-19 15:42

    Put power threw both wires from monitor connector to respective pins going to module /lights nice and bright

  5. #5mobile-tech2025-09-19 16:22
  6. #6mobile-tech2025-09-19 16:27

    I notice the monitor isn’t reading rpm

  7. #7Nige2025-09-19 16:46

    Is the Monitor in the mode that displays Diagnostic Codes.? It has 4 different modes, one of whic his the hourmeter. Press the switch (2) for the system status display mode in order to scroll through several parameters. Hold down the switch for at least one second. The parameters will scroll across the digital display window. When the desired parameter is displayed, release the switch.

  8. #8mobile-tech2025-09-19 17:27

    Right . I toggled between modes when I verified service code - reads 0 rpm

  9. #9mobile-tech2025-09-20 09:28

    is there a calibration for the monitor replacement ? I read it mentioned something about it in testing and adjusting - thing is stuck in the middle of huge park lot we excavated and did underground - they are trying to grade to get ready for concrete contractor - rather not have to pull the sums and drag it outta there with a 53

  10. #10Nige2025-09-20 11:14

    Have you fitted a replacement Monitor? If so what Part Number is it.?

  11. #11mobile-tech2025-09-21 21:11

    I have not - according to sis it changes

  12. #12mobile-tech2025-09-22 09:54

    Ok got a reman number of 20r-8925 Don’t know if this needs programmed?

  13. #13mobile-tech2025-09-22 09:56

    Wait that can’t be right that comes up as a Ecm

  14. #14mobile-tech2025-09-22 10:14

    Not clear on sis - called dealer their giving me 10r-5894

  15. #15Nige2025-09-22 10:17

    I think you want 252-4501 which is the Monitor Panel, or whatever is the latest updated Part Number for it. 569-8638 or Reman 10R5894 maybe.? https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/10R-5894 See the Service Mag attached. I'll be honest and say that from my experience if the Monitor Panel is lighting up when you turn the key on and the wanring lights/buzzer/hourmeter all work then personally I wouldn't have thought it's the panel, more likely the Datalink wires in the machine harness somewhere.

  16. #16mobile-tech2025-09-22 10:23

    I know - everything lights up and does the check then just about all the warning lights illuminate, service code appears, and warning buzzer sounds -

  17. #17mobile-tech2025-09-22 10:25

    If it’s doing that how can it be failed and not allowing parking brake to release ? The brake switch works can’t crank engine when released

  18. #18Nige2025-09-22 10:26

    I don't know what tests you did and don't want to send you back down a rabbit hole but those symptoms scream harness to me. Did you simply test continuity on the Datalink wires or did you put a few amps through them with a test light.?

  19. #19mobile-tech2025-09-22 10:40

    Tested harness from Ecm to monitor for short to ground , short to power , and continuity - also used a test light and ran amps threw them

  20. #20mobile-tech2025-09-22 10:44

    I ran threw that test procedure you sent me the other day for that service code

  21. #21Nige2025-09-22 10:45

    It appears as though you have done everything known to man. Maybe it is a failure of the Monitor module.

  22. #22mobile-tech2025-09-22 10:47

    I’m stuck anyway - I don’t have sis to flash that new monitor - wonder if I can bypass park brake , I can manually operate valve bank get it moved and loaded up back to yard

  23. #23mobile-tech2025-09-22 10:48

    I wish I had a test Ecm and or spare monitor

  24. #24Nige2025-09-22 10:54

    You would actually need a Dealer version of ET. That would be sweet.

  25. #25mobile-tech2025-09-22 11:08

    Thanks for all the help -do you have a location for parking brake solenoids / I can at least get the brakes released there’s manual controls on the valve bank for track I can move it

  26. #26Nige2025-09-22 11:26

    There are two identical solenoids located on a triangular manifold shown in the bottom of this illustration. One is for parking, the other for the secondary brake. The only way to identify which is which is by wire colours, the wires to the secondary brake solenoid are grey & white, to the park brake solenoid they are pink & white.

  27. #27mobile-tech2025-09-22 12:34

    Thank you sir

  28. #28mobile-tech2025-09-23 11:57

    Called cat out -as I was torn between the Ecm and monitor - he hooks up ET Ecm is wiped clean no parameters -nothing - reflashed Ecm - back to normal - think it’s time for a ECM

  29. #29Nige2025-09-23 12:11

    Which ECM are you talking about.? I've seen that happen before. I still have no idea how the ECM can lose all of its memory without some internal component being damaged beyond repair. Yet it seems as though a reflash fixes the problem. that ECM has more complex functions than most seeing as it controls the transmission, steering clutches/brakes, and also has certain inputs from the engine.

  30. #30mobile-tech2025-09-23 21:56

    Trans Ecm under the left side control for forward/reverse Put everything back together and ran it around today for while - tomorrow will be the trial by fire