What years were these machines made? I do not see them in current production on Cat's home page. Are these machines strong enough to handle medium size trees say up to 20" diameter hardwoods like the stuff we have in KY? W/O the side arms that support the blade on big dozers (what are those side supports called?), I would be concerned about whether the angle cylinders would hold up. Also, are they good machines? Are they more expensive to maintain and repair than the D5G series? Thanks!
Still in production, doubt whether the 6-way is up to pushing 20" trees on a regular basis. Very good machines, good balance and manoeuverable. Diff steer IMO better on side-slopes than clutches.
The D5N was only made for a few years and was relaced by the D6K.
No it wasn't. The D6N is still in production in Grenoble in parallel with the D6K. I've just put some hours on a pre-production Tier4 Interim D6N. Do you really think Cat intended a 12 ton hystat to replace a 17/18 ton powershift?
Did you mean to say "D5N"? My question was about the D5N. Please clarify. Thanks.
I think someone has got their fives and sixes mixed up!!! I tried ordering a new 5N, around 3 years ago and was told by the rep that it was not in production, the 6K replaced it.
LDK, you may be right. ih100, may be talking about the D6N. My question was about the D5N. I know from a search on Machinery Trader that there are D5N listings from about 2003 to 2006. The D5M also is listed from about 2000 to 2003. From what I have pieced together, the D5N is no longer in production but I may be wrong and that is what I am wanting to know. I have a 2006 D5N located that looks very nice. I just wanted to know a little more about them.
I put about 3 months on a 5N. Good little tractors. Yes it will knock down a 20 inch tree. Some you will have to dig around, some not. Each tree is different. I wouldn't worry to much about the six way blade. They are tough. About the only way I know to tear one up is pulling on the blade with a really big hoe and I've seen that done a time or two. It's really hard to tear one up pushing with it. I have seen them push the angle cylinders in if the conditions are just right where traction is good enough and all the load is on the very end of the blade. That is rare and I've never seen it cause damage to the machine. It's just an oil bypass thing.
Apologies to all - you're right about the D5N - it was late when I read this thread, no glasses on and 2 cans of beer inside. I promise to look before I jump in future.
No worries here. Ben there, dun that!!!
I have run several 5M's and N's and I think they are a good little tractor, they would be even better if the power was tweaked just a little. I have been using a 6K for the last 4 months and in my opinion the 5N is a better finish dozer, in the conditions I am working in at least.