Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4H Direct drive and track Probs

JDKID ยท 2010-08-17 18:33

Howdy heres one for ya's to mill over the dozer is a D4H LPG S/N 3AC00642 ..Arrangement 8Y0590 Trans No 1FC0092 ..Arrangement 3T7900 6 speed direct drive 3250 total hours full service done at 3000 history before that i don't know EX japan when i frist got it on start up the peddel would come back to 1/2 way then once to PSI lifted in trans peddel would fully return , stopping same thing the peddel would be fully up once motor stoped peddel would drop to 1/2 way ... now not fully returning peddel also feels stiff almost like a hydro valve with a stuck O ring from what it looks like the linkage on firewall is all free then goes to the back of the trans houseing under the fuel tank to a valve set up there (???? wild guessing at that ) Other prob the right hand track seems to be streching more that the left every few days it needs pumping out a bit more close to 4 inchs of ram showing on the ajustment ... thanks JD

Replies8
  1. #1Motat2010-08-20 04:36

    Dear JD I have just been through the problem of track adjustment at 100mms (4 inches} That is exposed barrell. The track adjuster has a hollow in it,so you cannott adjust more than that. On mesureing bettween links I found that chains were only 25% worn internally,but apparently Cat make NO allowance for internal wear. Therefore you must have dry links in your chain. I would concider takeing link out of chain. I am told High tracks are not kind to dry chains. As for the what I assume is your brake pedal problem. All I know is that the brakes are spring loaded ON [or naturally on] when you push pedal, pressure releases them. Thus the machine cannott be pulled with engine shut down without pulling shafts to finals. Or a method of presurising system . Hope Ive been of some use to you Regards

  2. #2JDKID2010-08-20 07:53

    Howdy Motat yea in the owners book i have it goes on about a pressure pack to take the brakes off if towing .. i don't think the clutch has a spring on it (well not on any linkage ) it's almost like when working the pressure forses the plates together and then back feeds the clutch houseing pushing the peddal back up it just feels like a hydro control bank with a pinched O ring .. it maybe a case of armed with a spanner or 3 open up the houseing at the back and see what comes out might have a return spring in there have not got a parts book to see how it all works .. so at 4 inchs travel the ram locks up ??? the D4H was ment to be on fatory SALT tracks ilders and rollers have some wear on them not too bad tho .. thanks for ya reply JD

  3. #3QuickTrax2010-08-20 08:09

    Salt chains shouldn't have any internal wear. If you have wear, it means you have some dry joints. You either have a bad track adjuster seal or you are past your sealing point. Your options on your track are either taking a link out, new chains, or new pins and bushings. I don't think Cat offers a dry chain for the D4H. This chain is the same chain the D5M, D5G, D39PX Komatsu, and the D41P,E Komatsu uses.

  4. #4Motat2010-08-20 14:50

    JD I think perhaps I am confused about your problem. You talk about a pedal. Does it have a master clutch PEDAL rather than the normal overcentre master clutch lever ?? I remember now being advised by Bob that ealier models were prone to getting rubbish jammed at base of steering levers and causeing problems, However I dont supose thats your problem. Regards I have not met a direct drive D4H

  5. #5Motat2010-08-20 15:10

    JD I found that When I pumped my adjuster to 4Inches it would soon return to Say 3 1/2 inches leading me to suspect a buggared seal. but in fact due to the hollow in shaft,which is there so you cannott go past this point However now I know that the max 4 inchs is measured on the crome barrell itself.NOT bettween idler and barrell support tube. Regards

  6. #6JDKID2010-08-20 16:41

    Hi ya Motat yep thats whats going on with the track i'm guessing thats not going to be an on farm job belive it or not i could just about buy a new set of chains cheeper then the trucking in and out of town .. aD4H driect looking at the floor from left to right ya have clutch ,brake ,deaccelerator .. to change forward to backwards ya have to clutch .. it's a wet clutch or pressure plate set up think maybe like an inching pedel on a powershift agri tractor thanks JD

  7. #7Hugh McIntyre2017-03-17 06:50

    Hi mate my dozer doing the same thing what's your feed back on this problem

  8. #8Hugh McIntyre2017-03-17 20:27

    Any feedback on this problem